1 folding frame of spokes attached to a stick and handle and covered with fabric, used to shelter a person from rain 伞; 雨伞
*put up/take down an umbrella 把伞张开[合起]. Cf 参看 parasol, sunshade (sun).
2 (fig 比喻) any kind of general protecting force or influence 起保护作用的力量或势力
*sheltering under the American nuclear umbrella在美国核保护伞的庇护下
* Police operated under the umbrella of the security forces. 警方在保安部队的掩护下采取了行动.
3 [esp attrib 尤作定语] (fig 比喻) central controlling agency for a group of related companies
* an umbrella organization, group, project 作为中央管理机构的组织、作为中央管理机构的团体、总项目.
1600-1700; Language: Italian;Origin:
ombrella, from Latin
umbella, from umbra; UMBRAGE
an object that you use to protect yourself against rain or hot sun. It consists of a circular folding frame covered in cloth
→parasol It started to rain, so Tricia stopped to put up her umbrella . I spent the day on the beach, lying under a beach umbrella , reading.umbrella organization/group/agency etc
an organization that includes many smaller groupsumbrella term/word/title etc
a word whose meaning includes many different types of a particular thing District nurses, health visitors, and school nurses will come under the umbrella term 'community nursing'.(come/work etc) under the umbrella of sth
to be part of a larger organization or involved in the work done by it The international education program came under the umbrella of the State Department.
the protection given by a powerful country, army, a weapons system etc the American nuclear umbrella over western Europe
1. Even when it was raining heavily, he refused to carry an umbrella. 即使大雨倾盆，他也总是拒绝带伞。
2. This is not my umbrella. 这不是我的伞。
3. The owner of the umbrella slowed his steps. 伞主人放慢了脚步。
4. He twirled his umbrella as he walked. 他边走边转动手中的伞。
5. Here´s your umbrella and your coat. 这是您的伞和大衣。
6. He was just passing a cigar store, when he saw a well-dressed man go in, leaving his silk umbrella at the entrance. 他路过一家雪茄烟店时，看见一位穿着体面的男人走了进去，将一把绸伞放在门口。
7. Your umbrella! 你的伞。
8. Soapy took the umbrella and sauntered off with it slowly . 索皮拿着雨伞闲逛。
9. She returned to the shop the following morning dressed in a fur coat, with a handbag in one hand and a long umbrella in the other. 第二天上午，她又来到这家商店，穿了一件裘皮大衣，一只手拎着一只手提包，另一只手拿着一把长柄伞。
10. Soapy stepped in, took the umbrella, and slowly continued his way. 苏比跨进店门，拿起雨伞，然后慢吞吞地往外走。