n.面纱,面罩,帐,幕,掩饰物,遮蔽物,口实,假托 vt.戴面纱,隐藏,遮蔽,掩饰 vi.蒙上面纱
动词过去式:veiled 过去分词:veiled 现在分词:veiling 第三人称单数:veils
(a) covering of fine net or other (usu transparent) material worn, esp by women, to protect or hide the face, or as part of a head-dress 面纱, 面罩（尤指女用的）
*a bridal veil 新娘的面纱
* She raised/lowered her veil. 她撩起[放下]面罩.
(b) piece of linen, etc covering the head and sometimes the shoulders, esp of nuns 头巾（尤指修女的）.
2 [sing] (fig 比喻) thing that hides or disguises 遮盖物; 掩饰物
*a veil of mist over the hills 笼罩小山上的薄雾
* plot under the veil of secrecy, innocence 在秘密、正经事物掩盖下搞的阴谋.
3 (idm 习语) draw a curtain/veil over sth => draw2. take the `veil become a nun 当修女.
1 put a veil over (sb/sth) 给（某人[某物]）带面纱或面罩
*a veiled Muslim woman 戴着面纱的穆斯林女子.
2 (fig 比喻) hide or disguise (sth) 遮掩, 掩饰（某事物）
*a thinly veiled threat, insult, hint, etc 含沙射影的威胁、侮辱、暗示等
* He could hardly veil his contempt at my ignorance. 他掩盖不住对我无知的轻蔑之情.
1. There was a veil of mist over the mountains. 山上笼罩着一层薄雾。
2. He had helped me lift the veil that grows so quickly over our eyes in this busy world, to see a whole new realm I'd failed to appreciate before. 在这忙碌的世界里，一层快速形成的面纱遮住了我们的双眼，是他帮我揭开了这层面纱，见到了一个以前从未好好欣赏的崭新世界。