found＝base（基础） 变化型 fund
1 [U] act of founding (an institution, organization, etc) （机构、组织等的）建立, 创立, 创办
*the foundation of the university 大学的创办.
(a) (organization set up to provide) sums of money for research, charity, etc （为研究、慈善事业等提供的）基金, 基金会
*the Ford Foundation福特基金
* You may be able to get support from an arts foundation. 你可以从文艺基金会得到资助.
(b) institution, eg a college or hospital, that is established by means of such a fund （用基金建立的）机构（如学院或医院）.
3 [C usu pl 通常作复数] layer of bricks, concrete, etc forming the solid base of a building underground 地基; 房基; 基础
*lay the foundations of a building 给建筑物奠基
* The huge lorries shook the foundations of the house. 大卡车驶过时, 连房基都震动了.
4 [C, U] principle, idea or fact on which sth is based; basis （作为某事的）基本原则、思想或事实; 基础
*lay the foundations of one's career 奠定个人事业的基础
* The political scandal shook the nation to its very foundations. 这一政治丑闻从根本上动摇了该国家.
* The conclusions must have some solid foundation in reality. 这些结论一定有些牢固的现实基础.
* That rumour has no foundation/is without foundation in fact. 那谣言没有事实根据.
5 [U] (also foundation cream) cream put on the face before other make-up is applied 粉底霜（化妆品）.
1【building】2【basic idea】3【organization】4【establishment】5 be without foundation6 lay/provide the foundation(s) for something7【skin】8 shake/rock the foundations of something
the solid layer of cement
, bricks, stones etc that is put under a building to support it It took the builders three weeks to lay the foundations . The earthquake shook the foundations of the house.【BASIC IDEA】[C]
a basic idea, principle, situation etc that something develops fromfoundation of All theories should be built on a foundation of factual knowledge.solid/firm foundation The course gives students a solid foundation in the basics of computing.【ORGANIZATION】[C]
an organization that gives or collects money to be used for special purposes, especially for charity
or for medical research the British Heart Foundation【ESTABLISHMENT】[U]
the establishment of an organization, business, school etc
= founding The school has served the community since its foundation in 1835.be without foundationalsohave no foundationformal
if a statement, idea etc is without foundation, there is no proof that it is true
= be groundless Davis dismissed the allegations as being without foundation.lay/provide the foundation(s) for sth
to provide the conditions that will make it possible for something to be successful Careful planning laid the foundations for the nation's economic miracle.【SKIN】[U]
a cream in the same colour as your skin that you put on before the rest of your make-upshake/rock the foundations of sthalsoshake/rock sth to its foundations
to completely change the way something is done or the way people think by having a completely new idea Darwin's theory rocked the scientific establishment to its foundations.
1. We all know the importance of laying a solid foundation in everything we do, and in language study perhaps more than in anything else, a good beginning is half the battle. 我们都知道，无论做什么事，重要的是要打下坚实的基础。语言学习尤其如此。俗说话：好的开端是成功的一半。
2. The Ford Foundation allocated millions of dollars for cancer research . 福特基金会拨出几百万元作为癌症的研究。
3. The flood displaced houses from their foundation. 洪水冲走了房屋。
4. This report has no foundation. 这个报告没有根据。
5. The rumour is without foundation in fact. 这个谣传没有事实根据。
6. This fall, the Hyde Foundation is scheduled to begin a preliminary public school program in Baltimore. 今年秋天，海德基金会计划在巴尔的摩启动公立学校预备教学计划。
7. The ability to recognize a feeling as it happens is the foundation of emotional intelligence. 能够在一种感觉产生的同时确认它，这一能力是情感智力的基础。
8. He left the major portion of his money to the foundation. 他将大部分钱留给了这个基金会。
9. Last fall, the Hyde Foundation opened a magnet program within a public high school in the suburbs of New Haven, Connecticut, over parents' protests. 去年秋天，在家长的一片抗议声中，海德基金会在康涅狄格州纽黑文市郊区的一所中学内启动了一个引人注目的教学计划。