1 (a) shaft dug in the ground, usu lined with brick or stone, for obtaining water from an underground source 井; 水井
*dig/drive/sink a well 挖[凿/掘]井
* The villagers get their water from a well. 该村村民吃井水.
* [attrib 作定语] well water 井水.
(b) = oil well (oil).
2 enclosed space like the shaft of a well, eg one in a building from roof to basement that contains a staircase or lift 似井的空间（如建筑物中的楼梯或电梯通道）.
3 (a) (dated except in place-names 旧,现仅用于地名) spring or fountain 泉
*Tunbridge Wells 坦布里奇韦尔斯.
(b) ~ of sth (dated fml fig 旧, 文, 比喻) source of sth 某事物的源泉或来源
*a well of information 信息的来源.
4 (Brit) (in a lawcourt) space in front of the judge where lawyers sit, separated from the rest of the court by a railing （法庭中的）律师席（位于法官对面, 有栏杆与其他部分相隔）.
1 [Ipr, Ip] ~ (out/up) flow or rise like water from a well （像泉水般）流出, 涌出, 喷出
*Blood was welling(out) from the wound. 鲜血从伤口中流出.
* Tears welled up in her eyes. 她泪盈于睫.
* Anger was welling up in him. 他怒火中烧.
2 (phr v) well over overflow 流出; 泛滥.
adj (compar better / 5betE(r); `bZtL/, superl best / best; bZst/)
1 [usu pred 通常作表语] in good health 健康
*be, feel, get, look, etc well 身体好、觉得身体好、康复、气色好
* Are you quite well? 你身体很 好吧?
* Is she well enough to travel? 她身体康复, 能够旅行了吗?
* I'm better now, thank you. 我现在好些了, 多谢您关心.
* He's not a well man. 他身体不好. =>Usage at healthy 用法见healthy.
2 [pred 作表语] in a satisfactory state or position 满意; 满足
*(saying 谚) All's well that ends well. 结局好就算一切都好.
* We're very well where we are. 我们处境很好.
* It seems that all is not well at home. 看来家中并非事事如意.
3 [pred 作表语] advisable or desirable 可取; 相宜
*It would be well to start early. 最好早点儿动身.
4 (idm 习语) ,all very `well (for sb)... (infml ironic 口, 反语) (used to indicate that one is not happy, satisfied or in agreement with what sb has said or done 用以表示不悦、不满或不同意)
*It's all very well (for `you) to suggest a skiing holiday, but I'm the one who will have to pay for it. 你提议假日滑雪倒是不错, 可付钱的却是我. ,all well and `good (infml 口) satisfactory (though other things may not be satisfactory) 好倒是好（但也有不如意处）
*The job's done that's all well and good but what about the bonus we were promised? 工作完成了--好倒是好--但是答应给我们的奖金给不给? (just) as `well (to do sth) prudent or appropriate 倒也不错; 也相宜
*It would be (just) as well to phone and say we will be late. 还是打个电话说我们得迟到比较好.
adv (compar better / 5betE(r); `bZtL/, superl best / best; bZst/)
1 (usu placed after the v, and after the direct object if the v is transitive 通常置于动词之後, 若是及物动词则置于直接宾语之後)
(a) in a good, right or satisfactory manner 好; 对; 满意地
*The children behaved well/were well-behaved. 孩子都表现得很好.
* She speaks English very well. 她英语说得很好.
* The conference was organized very well. 大会组织得很好.
* I can read well enough without glasses. 我不戴眼镜也能看得很清楚.
* Well done, played, run, etc! ie cries expressing admiration, congratulations, etc 干得、演得、跑得...好!
* I hope everything is going well (ie is satisfactory) with you. 愿你事事如意.
* Things didn't go well for us at first, but everything is fine now. 我们起初不很顺利, 现一切都好了.
* Do these colours go well together (ie harmonize with each other)? 这些颜色配在一起协调吗?
* The plan didn't work out very well. 这一计画实行起来不大满意.
* Investing in industry is money well spent. 钱投资在工业上是正确的. Cf 参看 ill1 1.
(b) in a kind manner 和蔼地; 友好地
*They treated me very well. 他们待我很好. Cf 参看 ill1 2.
(c) thoroughly, completely or carefully 彻底地; 完全地; 仔细地
*Shake the mixture well. 把这个混合物充分摇匀.
* Read the document well before you sign it. 仔细审阅文件後方可签字.
* The pan must be dried well before you put it away. 这个锅用後要彻底擦乾方可收起.
* His shoes were always well polished. 他的鞋总是擦得乾乾净净.
* She doesn't know him very well. 她不十分了解他.
* I'm well (ie fully) able to manage on my own. 我完全能够独自处理.
2 with praise or approval 夸奖地; 称赞地
*speak/think well of sb 称赞[钦佩]某人.
3 (after can, could, may, might 用于can、could、may、might之後) justifiably, reasonably or probably 有理由地; 合理地; 可能地
*You may well be right. 很可能是你对.
* I might well consider it later. 我也可能以後再考虑考虑.
* I can't very well leave now. 我现在离开不大合适.
* I couldn't very well refuse to help them, could I? 我不帮助他们说不过去吧, 是不是?
* `They've split up, you know.' `I can well believe it.' ｀你知道吗, 他们闹翻了.＇｀我看这是情理之中的事.＇
* It may well be that the train is delayed. 很有可能火车晚点了.
4 to a considerable extent or degree 到相当的程度
*I don't know how old he is, but he looks well over/past forty. 我不知道他多少岁, 但是他看上去有四十多岁了.
* She was driving at well over the speed limit. 她开车的速度远远超过了速度限制.
* lean well forward/back in one's chair 坐在椅子上身体很向前[後]靠
* It was well worth waiting for. 这件事倒是很值得等待.
* Temperatures are well up in the forties. 温度足有四十多度了.
5 (idm 习语) as well (as sb/sth) in addition (to sb/sth/doing sth) （除某人[某事物/做某事]外）也, 还, 而且
*Are they coming as well? 他们也来吗?
* He grows flowers as well as vegetables. 他既种菜也种花.
* She is a talented musician as well as being a photographer. 她不但是摄影师还是个天才的音乐家. =>Usage at also 用法见also. augur well/ill for sb/sth => augur. be ,well `out of sth (infml 口) be fortunate that one is not involved in sth 幸亏没牵涉在某事中. be well up in sth be well informed about sth 对某事物消息灵通或非常熟悉
*He's well up in all the latest developments in the industry. 他很熟悉这个行业中所有的最新情况. bloody well => bloody2. bode well/ill => bode. deserve well/ill of sb =>deserve. do oneself well provide oneself with comforts, luxuries, etc 生活优裕. do `well
(a) be successful; prosper成功; 兴旺
*Simon is doing very well at school. 西蒙的学习成绩很好.
* The business is doing well. 生意十分兴隆.
(b) (only in the continuous tenses 仅用于进行时态) be making a good recovery from an illness, etc 康复等情况良好
*The patient is doing well. 病人身体恢复很好.
* Mother and baby are doing well. 母子均平安. do well by sb treat sb generously 慷慨对待某人. do `well for oneself become successful or prosperous （个人）成功, 富裕. do well out of sb/sth make a profit out of or obtain money from sb/sth 从某人[某事物]处获得利益或金钱. do well to do sth (esp as a warning) act wisely or prudently in doing sth （尤指提醒或警告）做某事时聪明或谨慎
*You would do well to remember who is paying the bill. 你最好记住是谁付的帐.
* They would do well to concentrate more on their work. 他们最好认真工作.
* You did well to sell when the price was high. 你趁价高卖出做得聪明. fucking well => fuck. jolly well => jolly. leave/let well a`lone not interfere with sth that is satisfactory or adequate 对感到满意或满足的事物不再触动; 维持原状
*Any changes would be very difficult to make so it's better to leave well alone. 做任何改动都很困难, 还是见好就收吧. may/might (just) as well do sth in the circumstances, no harm will come from doing sth 做某事倒也无妨
*Since nobody else wants the job, we might as well let him have it. 既然谁也不要这份工作,咱们不妨让他去做吧. one may/might as well be hanged/hung for a sheep as a lamb => hang1. mean well => mean1. mean well by sb => mean1. pretty much/nearly/well => pretty. promise well => promise2. speak well for sb/sth => speak. stand well with sb be in sb's favour 受某人喜爱. ,very `well (used to indicate that one agrees or obeys, esp after sb else has persuaded, ordered or requested one to do sth 用以表示同意或服从（尤指经劝说、命令或要求後）)
*Very well, doctor, I'll try to take more exercise. 好吧, 大夫, 那我就尽量多锻炼锻炼吧.
* Oh, very well, if you insist. 噢, 好啦, 你一定要这样就听你的吧. ,well and `truly (infml 口) completely; decisively 完全地; 果断地
*By that time we were well and truly lost. 到那时, 我们完全迷路了. well aware of sth/that... fully informed or conscious 充分了解或意识到
*I'm well aware of the risks. 我清楚知道其中的风险. `well away
(a) having made good progress 已很有进展
*By the end of the month, we'll be well away. 到本月底我们就很有成绩了.
(b) (infml 口) (beginning to be) drunk or hilarious （逐渐）醉或欢闹起来. well in (with sb) (infml 口) regarded as a close friend (by sb); accepted （被某人）视为密友; 被当作自己人
*She seems to be well in with the right people. 她和她应该相处的人看来十分融洽. well `off in a good position, esp financially 境况良好; （尤指）富裕
*His family is not very well off. 他家不太富裕.
* You don't need to look for another job you're well off where you are. 你用不着另找工作--你现在的境况很不错了. well off for sth having plenty of sth 有很多
*We're well off for storage space in the new flat. 我们的新公寓里有很多储藏东西的地方. wish sb/sth well/ill => wish.
(Compound adjs formed from well- + past participles are usu hyphenated when attributive but not hyphenated when predicative, except when the adj has acquired a restricted sense. 由well- +过去分词构成的复合形容词, 用作定语时通常中间有连字符, 用作表语时中间无连字符, 但这类形容词的词义有限定时仍需用连接号.)
interj (esp in spoken English 尤用于口语)
1 (used to express astonishment 用以表示惊讶)
*Well, who would have thought it? 嗳, 谁想得到是这样啊?
* Well, well ( I should never have guessed it)! 呦, 呦（--那我可决猜不着）!
* Well, you `do surprise me! 哟, 你真吓了我一跳!
2 (used to express relief 用以表示宽慰)
*Well, thank goodness that's over! 嗳, 谢天谢地, 这件事总算过去了!
* Well, here we are at last! 好啦, 我们终于到了!
3 (also oh well) (used to express resignation用以表示无可奈何)
*Oh well, there's nothing we can do about it. 唉, 这件事我们无能为力了.
* Well, it can't be helped. 唉, 没有办法.
4 (also very well) (used to express agreement or understanding 用以表示同意或理解)
*Very well, then, I'll accept your offer. 好吧, 那我就接受你的好意.
5 (used when conceding a point in an argument, etc 在争论等中, 用以对某一点表示让步)
*Well, you may be right. 好了, 也许你说得对.
6 (used when resuming a conversation, etc or changing the subject after a pause 在交谈的停顿後, 用以接续或改换话题)
*Well, as I was saying,... 唉, 我刚才说的...
* Well, the next day... 对了, 第二天...
* Well, let's move on to the next item. 好了, 咱们谈下一个问题吧.
7 (used to express hesitation, doubt, etc 用以表示犹豫、怀疑等)
*`Do you want to come?' `Well I'm not sure.' ｀你想来吗?＇｀嗯--我还说不好.＇
8 (idm 习语) well I `never (`did)! (infml 口) (used as an exclamation of pleased or annoyed astonishment 用作喜悦的或恼怒的惊叹语).