名词:hiller 动词过去式:hilled 过去分词:hilled 现在分词:hilling 第三人称单数:hills
1 natural elevation on the earth's surface, not as high or rugged as a mountain 山冈; 小山
*a range of hills 一列山丘
* The house is on the side of a hill. 那所房子坐落在山坡上.
2 slope in a road, etc （道路等的）斜坡
*push one's bike up a steep hill 推着自行车上陡坡.
3 (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词) heap of earth; mound 土堆; 土墩
* a `molehill.
4 (idm 习语) a hill of `beans (US infml 口) thing of little value 没有多大价值的东西
*It's not worth a hill of beans, ie It is worth very little. 这一钱不值. old as the hills => old. over the `hill (infml 口) (of a person) past one's prime; old （指人）颠峰时期已过, 人老珠黄. up ,hill and down `dale everywhere 到处
*We've been chasing up hill and down dale trying to find you. 我们在到处找你呢.
[Language: Old English;Origin:
an area of land that is higher than the land around it, like a mountain but smaller
, downhill downhill Their house is on a hill overlooking the sea. the top of Sidbury Hill A cart was making its way up the steep hill on which the village stood.In the spring, the rolling hills around Yakima Valley turn white with blossom. the hill towns of central Italy
a slope on a road There's a steep hill ahead.
→downhill, uphillthe HillAmECapitol Hillover the hill
no longer young, and therefore no longer attractive or good at doing things Kathleen thinks she's over the hill, but she's only 32.it doesn't amount to a hill of beansAmE spoken
it is not important
COLLOCATES for sense 1steep hillrolling hills
(=hills with long gentle slopes) wooded hill
(=one covered with trees) green hill
(=one covered with grass) climb a hill
(=walk or drive up a hill) brow/crest of a hill
(=the top part of a hill) hills and valleyshill farm/townhill country
(=a rural area where there are a lot of hills)
1. We toiled up the hill. 我们吃力地登上了山.
2. We can see from here the monument on the vertex of the hill. 从这里我们可以看到山顶上的纪念碑。
3. The fort on top of the steep hill is inaccessible. 很难接近陡峭山顶上的堡垒。
4. The procession moved slowly down the hill. 游行队伍缓慢地走下坡路.
5. The shepherd guided his sheep down the hill. 牧羊人引领羊下了山.
6. The castle has a lovely situation on a hill. 城堡座落在山上，环境优美。
7. The old lady walked slowly up the hill. 老妇慢慢地向山上走去。
8. The troops took up their position on the hill. 军队在山上布好阵势。
9. A gradual hill is not steep. 倾斜度小的山不陡。
10. At the top of the hill you looked down on the peacefull landscape. 在山顶上你俯瞰那宁静的风景。