1 [U] ~ (in sth) investing of money 投资
*make a profit by careful investment 谨慎投资以赚取利润.
2 [C] ~ (in sth)
(a) sum of money that is invested 投资额
*an investment of
500 in oil shares 金额为500英镑的石油股份投资.
(b) company, etc in which money is invested 接受投资的公司等
*Those oil shares were a good investment, ie have been profitable. 那些石油股票是有利可图的投资.
3 = investiture.
[U and C]
the use of money to get a profit or to make a business activity successful, or the money that is used
Foreign investment in Taiwan rose by 79% last year.
A Certificate of Deposit remains one of the safest investments.
We plan to buy some property as an investment.
That year, Japanese investment in American real estate totaled $13.06 billion.
Each of us was required to put up a minimum investment of $5,000.
The Postal Service has made a large investment in new technology.
Shareholders want to see a better return on their investment .
tax cuts aimed at stimulating investment and expanding the economy
something that you buy or do because it will be useful later
a good/sound investment
The lessons cost me over $500, but I consider them a good investment.
when you spend a large amount of time, energy, emotion etc on something
a huge investment of time and effort
COLLOCATES for sense 1
make an investment (in something)
return on an investment (=profit from an investment)
short-term/long-term investment (=one that will give you profit in a short time, or only after a long time)
1. No wonder you are so frugal. Would you like my investment? 难怪你这么节俭, 你想要我投资一些钱吗?
2. Along with gilts, cash deposits, and perhaps convertibles or the income shares of split capital investment trusts. 同时还有高度可靠的证券、现金储蓄，可能还有可换证券，或分割资本投资信托公司的所得股。
3. Places that until recently were deaf and dumb are rapidly acquiring up-to-date telecommunications that will let them promote both internal and foreign investment. 一些不久前还是信息闭塞的地方正在快速获得最新的通信技术，这将促进当地对国内外投资的吸纳。
4. Once you have decided on your investment aims, you can then decide where to put your money. 一旦你的投资目标确立以后，你就可以决定你的钱投向何处。
5. They demand sacrifice and unselfishness, a long-term investment of the parents' time and money. 他们需要我们做出自我牺牲和无私奉献，也就是父母对子女在金钱和时间上的长期投入。
6. It failed to stimulate a surge of investment in industry. 这没能促使工业投资激增。
7. Where the raising of children and the investment of both parents in the children's lives were guaranteed by bonds of friendship between the parents, which were based on rational love. 在这样的家庭里，父母间由于理性的爱所带来的友好关系保证了他们能共同抚养孩子和共同在孩子身上投入。
8. In the first half, the company earned 75 million francs, mainly from investment income and sale of construction rights on its site. 在前半年里，公司共赢利7,500法郎，主要是投资收入和出售公司地盘上的建筑权所得。