形容词比较级:worse 最高级:worst 副词比较级:worse 最高级:worst
adv (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词)
1 badly; wrongly 坏; 恶劣地
*an ,ill-written `book 写得很差劲的书
* Their children are ill `cared for, ie neglected.他们的孩子疏于照料. Cf 参看 well3 1a.
2 unfavourably; unkindly 不利地; 不友好地; 坏
*speak/think ill of sb 说某人坏话[对某人不怀好感]. Cf 参看 well3 1b.
3 only with difficulty; scarcely 困难地; 几乎不
*We can ill afford the time or money for a holiday. 我们简直连度假的时间或金钱都没有.
4 (idm 习语) augur well/ill for sb/sth => augur. bode well/ill => bode. deserve well/ill of sb => deserve. ,ill at `ease uncomfortable; embarrassed 不舒服; 困窘; 局促. wish sb well/ill => wish v.
1 (US usu 美式英语通常作 sick) [usu pred 通常作表语] physically or mentally unwell; sick （身体上或精神上）不适, 不健康, 有病
*He's been ill for two weeks. 他病了两个星期了.
* She fell ill/was taken ill suddenly. 她突然病了. =>Usage at sick 用法见sick.
2 [attrib 作定语]
(a) not good; bad 不好的; 不良的; 坏的; 糟糕的
*ill health 不健康
* people of ill repute, ie with a bad reputation 名声不好的人.
(b) harmful; intending harm 有害的; 邪恶的
*suffer no ill effects 未受坏影响.
(c) unkind; resentful 不友好的; 敌意的; 怨恨的
*bear sb no ill will 对某人不存恶意
* You ought to apologize and show there is no ill feeling between you. 你应当道歉, 表明你们之间并无恶感.
3 [attrib 作定语] not favourable 不利的; 不吉的
*ill luck 恶运
* a bird of ill omen, ie one thought to bring bad luck 不祥之鸟.
4 (idm 习语) it's an ,ill `wind (that blows nobody any good) (saying 谚) few things are so bad that they don't offer some good to sb 世上鲜有绝对的坏事; 害于此者利于彼.
n (fml 文)
1 [U] harm; evil 伤害; 恶行; 邪恶
*I wish him no ill. 我对他并无恶感.
2 [C usu pl 通常作复数] problem; misfortune 困难; 不幸; 苦恼
*the various ills of life 人生种种苦难.
Ranulf de Glanvill (sometimes written Glanvil or Glanville) (died 1190) was Chief Justiciar of England during the reign of King Henry II and reputed author of a book on English law.
1. We cancelled the party because I was ill. 我们取消了那次聚会，因为我病了。
2. When she was nineteen months old, she fell ill and had a fever. 她出生19个月后得了场病，发起高烧，
3. They went from jeweller to jeweller, looking for a necklace like the other, both of them ill with misery. 为了找到一条相同的项链，他们跑遍了所有的珠宝店。两个人都苦恼极了。
4. Nor is it only the ignorant and ill-educated person who has such faith in the bottle of medicine. 并不只是那些无知和没受过良好教育的人才迷信药瓶子。
5. He became mortally ill a few months before we had planned to go and. 在我们制订回国计划几个月之后，他患了致命的疾病.
6. He is seriously ill. 他病得很严重。
7. He may be conceited, ill-mannered, presumptuous or fatuous, 这些年轻人也许狂妄自负，举止无理，傲慢放肆，愚昧无知，
8. He became mortally ill a few months before we had planned to go and, when he knew that he was dying, he made me promise to go on my own. 就在他计划回国的前几个月，他突然身患绝症。他知道自己已奄奄一息，于是他要我答应一定单独回故乡一趟。
9. He feels ill. 他觉得不舒服。
10. He looks ill. 他看上去是病了。