n.练习,习题,训练,锻炼,演习 v.训练,锻炼 vt.行使,使担扰
动词过去式:exercised 过去分词:exercised 现在分词:exercising 第三人称单数:exercises 形容词:exercisable
1 [U] use or practice (of the mind or esp the body) through effort or action （智力的）运用; （尤指）锻炼运动
*The doctor advised him to take more exercise. 医生建议他多运动.
* Jogging is a healthy form of exercise. 慢跑是有益健康的锻炼方式.
* Doing crosswords gives the mind some exercise. 做纵横字谜游戏能锻炼脑筋.
2 [C] activity or task intended for physical or mental training 练习; 训练
*vocal, gymnastic, keep-fit, deep-breathing, etc exercises 发音、体操、保健、深呼吸等练习
* exercises for the piano, flute, harp, etc 钢琴、长笛、竖琴等的练习
* The teacher set her class a mathematics exercise for homework. 那位女教师给班上布置数学的家庭作业.
* [attrib 作定语] an exercise book, ie a book for writing in with soft covers and lined pages 练习本.
3 [U] ~ of sth (effective) use or application （有效的）使用或应用
*The exercise of patience is essential in diplomatic negotiations. 在外交谈判中, 重要的是要有耐性.
* the exercise of one's civil rights 公民权利的行使
* His stories showed considerable exercise of the imagination. 他的故事颇具创意.
4 [C often pl 常作复数] series of movements or operations for training troops, etc （部队等的）操练, 演习
*military exercises 军事操练
* (fig 比喻) an exercise in diplomatic relations 外交关系上的举动.
5 exercises [pl] (US) ceremonies 典礼; 仪式
*graduation exercises 毕业典礼
* opening exercises, eg speeches at the start of a conference 开幕仪式（如致开幕词）.
1 [I] perform some kind of physical exercise （体能方面）锻炼, 运动
*He exercises twice a day. 他每天锻炼两次.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (in sth) give exercise1(1) to sb/sth; train sb/sth (by means of exercises) 使某人[某物]得到锻炼; 训练某人[某物]
*Horses get fat and lazy if they are not exercised. 马不训练就会增膘、变懒.
* Swimming exercises the whole body. 游泳能使身体得到全面的锻炼.
3 [Tn] make use of (sth); employ 利用（某物）; 使用; 运用
*exercise patience, tolerance, power, control, etc 运用耐性、忍耐力、权力、控制力等
* exercise one's rights as a citizen 行使公民权
* Teachers exercise authority over their pupils. 教师经常管束学生.
4 [Tn usu passive 通常用于被动语态] (fml 文) worry or trouble (sb) 使（某人）担心、忧虑或烦恼
*This problem is exercising our minds very much at the moment. 这一问题此刻使我们很伤脑筋.
* I am very much exercised about the education of my son. 我对儿子的教育十分操心.
1. Exercise helped to straighten the injured arm. 锻炼有助于使伤臂伸直。
2. Exercise can result in iron loss through a variety of mechanisms. 运动可能通过多种机制导致铁离子流失。
3. But until recently, the academic edge gained by participating in sports was thought to come from the increased self-confidence, the better mood, and the ability to concentrate that comes from burning off steam in exercise. 但直到最近，人们还认为因参加体育运动而获得的学业优势来自于增强的自信、更好的心态，以及由运动时消耗体力所带来的集中注意力的能力。
4. It is possible to play simply for the fun and exercise: 那才可能是单纯的为了娱乐和锻炼而进行比赛。
5. This simple truth was demonstrated rather dramatically during a civil defence exercise in a small town in Canada. 这个简单的事实在加拿大一个小镇的一次民防演习中颇为戏剧性地展示出来.
6. The time I spent at exercise gradually diminished. 我花在锻炼上的时间逐渐减少，
7. They found the young man walking through some marshes in a military exercise. 他们看到那个年轻人正在参加军事演习，徒步穿越沼泽地。
8. The exercise is great; the lifting gets easier with every load, even if my shoulder muscle is sore. 这可锻炼人哩，虽然肩部肌肉酸痛，可我扛垃圾桶越扛越得心应手了。
9. This boost in reaction time after exercise training may occur because declines associated with getting old could actually stem from declines in physical condition. 接受运动训练之后，人的反应速度会加快，这可能是因为与衰老有关的机能衰退实际上根源于体质下降。
10. The most beneficial forms of exercise, he says, engage both. 他说，最有益的运动是身心兼顾。