1 [U] ~ (in sb/sth) trust; strong belief; unquestioning confidence 信任; 信仰; 信心
*put one's faith in God 信仰上帝
* Have you any faith in what he says? 你相信他的话吗?
* I haven't much faith in this medicine. 我对这种药没有多大信心.
* I've lost faith in that fellow, ie I can no longer trust him. 我再也不相信那个家伙了.
2 [U, sing] strong belief, without proof, in God or in an established religion 宗教信仰
*a strong faith 坚定的宗教信仰
* lose one's faith 失去对上帝的信仰
* Faith is stronger than reason. 宗教信仰比推理劝说更具威力.
3 [C] religion 宗教
*the Christian, Jewish and Muslim faiths 基督教、犹太教和伊斯兰教.
4 (idm 习语) break/keep faith with sb break/keep one's promise to sb; be disloyal/loyal to sb 对某人不守信用[守信用]; 对某人不忠诚[忠诚]. in good `faith with honest intentions 真诚地; 诚意地
*She signed the letter in good faith, not realizing its implications. 她真心实意地在信上签了字, 没意识到其中另有含义.
* He bought the painting in good faith, eg not realizing that it had been stolen. 他买这幅画时不虞内有跷蹊（如未想到是贼赃）.
1【trust/confidence in somebody/something】
3 break faith with somebody/something
4 keep faith with somebody/something
5 good faith
6 bad faith
7 an act of faith
[Date: 1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin: feid, from Latin fides; FIDELITY]
【TRUST/CONFIDENCE IN SOMEBODY/SOMETHING】[U]
a strong feeling of trust or confidence in someone or something
have faith (in sb/sth)
I still have faith in him.
'Have faith, Alexandra,' he said.
lose faith (in sb/sth)
The public has lost faith in the government.
destroy/restore sb's faith (in sb/sth)
It's really helped restore my faith in human nature.
belief and trust in God
deep religious faith
my faith in God
one of the main religions in the world
People from all faiths are welcome.
the Jewish/Muslim/Hindu etc faith
members of the Jewish faith
break faith with sb/sth
to stop supporting or believing in a person, organization, or idea
How could he tell them the truth without breaking faith with the Party?
keep faith with sb/sth
to continue to support or believe in a person, organization, or idea
honest and sincere intentions
He proposed a second meeting as a sign of his good faith.
The woman who sold me the car claimed she had acted in good faith (=had not meant to deceive me) .
intentions that are not honest or sincere
an act of faith
something you do that shows you trust someone completely
Allowing Ken to be in charge of the project was a total act of faith.
1. Children usually have in their character and infallibility, and how much this faith means to a child. 如果父母意识到孩子通常多么希望父母的品行和父母的绝对正确, 以及这种信任对孩子又有怎样的意义,
2. But he had been laughed at as a foolish dreamer, and few people had any faith in him. 可是人们都嘲笑他是个糊里糊涂的梦想家，几乎没人相信他的话。
3. Why do you have such strong faith? 为何你有这么深的信仰?
4. This modern faith in medicines is proved by the fact that the annual drug bill of the Health Services is mounting to astronomical figures and shows no signs at present of ceasing to rise. 卫生部门的处度药费上升到了天文数字，并且目前尚无停止上升的迹象，这个事实证实了现代人对药物的依赖。
5. To truly change the world for the better, we need more facts, not simply more faith. 要真正使世界更美好，我们需要更多的事实，而不仅仅是更多的信念。
6. The Tramp never loses his faith in the flower girl who'll be waiting to walk into the sunset with him; 流浪汉始终没有失去对卖花女的信心，相信她正等待着与自己共同走进夕阳之中；
7. Nor is it only the ignorant and ill-educated person who has such faith in the bottle of medicine. 并不只是那些无知和没受过良好教育的人才迷信药瓶子。
8. A minister or priest is considered a guardian of faith. 牧师和教士被认为是信仰的护卫者。
9. After years of pre -conditioning, most of us have developed an unshakable faith in railway time- tables. 经过多年的应验之后，我们多数人对铁路时刻表都产生了不可动摇的信任。
10. After years of conditioning, most of us have developed an unshakable faith in railway timetables. 经过多年的适应，大多数人对火车时刻表产生了一种不可动摇的信念。