1 [U] action or manner of constructing; being constructed 建筑, 建造的活动或方式; 施工; 建设
*the construction of new roads 新道路的施工
* The new railway is still under construction, ie being constructed. 新铁路尚在敷设中.
* The wall is of very solid construction, ie is solidly constructed. 这堵墙构筑得非常坚固.
* [attrib 作定语] the construction industry, ie the building of roads, bridges, buildings, etc 建筑业.
2 [C] thing constructed; structure; building 建造物; 构造物; 建筑物
*a complex construction of wood and glass 木和玻璃综合结构的建筑物
* The shelter is a brick construction. 掩护所是用砖构筑的.
3 [C] way in which words are put together to form a phrase, clause or sentence 造句法
*This dictionary gives the meanings of words and also illustrates the constructions they can be used in. 本词典提供词义解释, 并举例说明遣词造句的方法.
4 [C] (fml 文) sense in which words, statements, etc are to be understood; meaning （对词语、言辞等所作的）解释, 意义, 意思
*What construction do you put on his actions? ie How do you understand their purpose? 你对他的行为作何解释?
* The sentence does not bear such a construction, ie cannot be understood in that way. 这句话并不含有那样的意思. Cf 参看 construe 1.
2【making something from many parts】
3【way something is made】
7 put a construction on something
the process of building things such as houses, bridges, roads etc
the construction of a new airport
The hotel is currently under construction.
a road construction project
【MAKING SOMETHING FROM MANY PARTS】[U]
the process of making something using many parts
Work out the exact design before you start construction.
【WAY SOMETHING IS MADE】[U]
the materials used to build or make something, or its design and structure
The houses were partly timber in construction.
External doors should be of robust construction.
something that has been built
a strange construction made of wood and glass
the way in which words are put together in a sentence, phrase etc
difficult grammatical constructions
the process of forming something from knowledge or ideas
the construction of sociological theory
put a construction on sth
formal to think that a statement has a particular meaning or that something was done for a particular reason
The judge put an entirely different construction on his remarks.
1. Building that second house or apartment used lots of resources and created lots of construction rubbish. 建造第二栋房子或公寓用去了大量资源，也制造了大量的建筑垃圾。
2. Women are soldiers, truck drivers, and construction workers. Why can't a man be a nanny? 女人可以当兵，可以做卡车司机，可以当建筑工人，为什么男人不能当保姆呢？
3. There are two new hotels near here under construction. 附近正在建造两幢新旅馆.
4. This caused the construction of gigantic buildings where too large masses of human beings are crowded together. 这样就导致了许多摩天大厦拔地而起，大厦内众多的人挤地一起。
5. Two of these projects were the construction of the Museum of Chinese History and the Great Hall of the People. 中国历史博物馆和人民大会堂就是其中的两项。
6. Though today is the official opening ceremony, visitors are still excluded from the most enormous privately funded construction project ever. 尽管今天是正式的开幕典礼，参观者依然不能接近这项耗资最巨的私人投资建筑工程。
7. Today, according to the Ministry of Construction, Tokyo has about 2.5 square meters of park for each resident. 今天，据建设省说，东京居民人均拥有约2.5平方米的活动场地。
8. Another interesting fact about this hall is that while fourteen thousand workers were employed in its construction, citizens of Beijing could give whatever volunteer help they wanted to, and many thousands did so at week-ends, in the evenings, or dur 关天大会堂，还有一件事值得提起。当一万四千名工人施工时，北京市民自愿提供各种帮助，几万名市民利用周末、晚上或节假日参加义务劳动。
9. Always, he chose the crystal. Nothing but the best,” said David Abdy, who was chosen by Mr. Williams to manage the construction work and run the businesses. 他选了水晶的。他一向如此，只要最好的。" 戴维·阿布迪说。威廉斯先生指派他负责修建工作，并经营这家宾馆。
10. Scores of amusement parks have opened since Tokyo Disneyland arrived in 1983, and 200 more are proposed or under construction. 自从1983年建成东京迪斯尼乐园以来，已有几十家游乐园开张，还有200家已提出计划或正在建造。