动词过去式:fruited 过去分词:fruited 现在分词:fruiting 第三人称单数:fruits 名词复数:fruit
/fru:t; frut/ n
1 [C, U] fleshy seed-bearing part of a plant used as food; quantity of these 水果; 水果的量
*The country exports tropical fruit(s). 该国出口热带水果.
* Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? 蕃茄是水果还是蔬菜?
* Bananas, apples and oranges are all fruit. 香蕉、苹果和橘子都是水果.
* This pudding has two pounds of fresh fruit in it. 这个布丁里有两磅鲜果.
* [attrib 作定语] `fruit juice 果汁
* `fruit trees 果树. =>illus 见插图.
2 [C] (botany 植) part of a plant, tree or bush in which the seed is formed 果实.
3 [C usu pl 通常作复数] any plant product used as food 可做食物的任何植物的产物
*the fruits of the earth, ie vegetables, cereals, etc 农产品（蔬菜、谷物等）.
4 (esp 尤作 the fruits [pl]) result or reward of an action, hard work, etc 成果; 结果; 产物
*enjoy the fruit(s) of one's labours 享受自己的劳动成果.
5 [U] (also ,dried `fruit) currants, raisins, or sultanas, used as food or in baking 乾果.
6 (idm 习语) bear fruit => bear2. forbidden fruit => forbid.
v [I] produce fruit 结果实
*These apple trees have always fruited well. 这些苹果树总是结很多苹果.
1. Comparing with those fruit vendors, you´re lucky; yet they never complain. 和那些水果贩比起来, 你很幸运, 然而他们从不抱怨.
2. It can become a ´flying fruit-bowl´, carrying bananas from the plantations to the ports; 它能成为"飞行水果盘子"，把香蕉从种植园动到港口。
3. The scarcity of fruit was caused by the drought. 水果歉收系干旱所致。
4. Her favourite fruit is strawberry. 她最喜欢的水果是草莓。
5. Autumn is rich with fruit and grain, 秋天丰收，谷果满仓，
6. Soft fruit squashes easily. 无核的小水果容易压烂.
7. Picasso's father was an art teacher who had young Pablo painting bowls of fruit at the age of eight. 毕加索的父亲是个美术教师，他要八岁的小帕布罗画一碗又一碗的水果。
8. Ripe fruit falls from the trees and you never have to work. 成熟的水果从树上掉下来，人们根本无需劳动。
9. I eat a lot of fruit. 我吃很多水果.
10. I want to buy some canned fruit and fresh vegetables. 我要买些水果罐头和蔬菜.