形容词:effectible 名词:effecter 动词过去式:effected 过去分词:effected 现在分词:effecting 第三人称单数:effects
fact＝to make（做），to do（做，为） 变化型 fect
1 [C, U] ~ (on sb/sth) change produced by an action or cause; result or outcome 效应; 结果; 後果
*the effects of heat on metal 热对金属产生的效应
* Did the medicine have any effect/a good effect? 这药有什么疗效[疗效好]吗?
* The film had quite an effect on her. 这影片对她影响极大.
* I tried to persuade him, but with little or no effect. 我尽力劝他, 他根本不听.
2 [C, U] impression produced on the mind of the spectator, listener, reader, etc (esp in plays, films, broadcasts, paintings, etc) （观众、听众、读者等）头脑 中所产生的印象（尤指在戏剧、电影、广播、绘画等方面）
*The general effect of the painting is overwhelming. 这幅画给人总的印象是很有气势.
* The stage lighting gives the effect of a moonlit scene. 舞台灯光产生月夜景色的效果.
* She only dresses like that for the effect it creates/for effect. 她仅仅为了装样子才那样打扮.
* The science fiction film had some marvellous special effects. 这部科幻电影有些特殊效果美妙绝伦.
3 effects [pl] (fml or law 文或律) personal property; possessions 个人财产; 财物
*personal effects 个人财产
* household effects 家庭财物.
4 (idm 习语) bring/put sth into ef`fect cause sth to come into use 使某物开始使用
*The new system will soon be put into effect. 新系统即将启用. come into ef`fect (esp of laws, rules, etc ) reach the stage of being in use （尤指法律、规则等）实行, 实施
*The new seat-belt regulations came into effect last week. 新的安全带规则上周开始实施. give effect to sth (fml 文) cause sth to become active or produce a result 使某事物实行起来; 使生效
*The new ruling gives effect to the recommendations of the special committee. 这一新裁定使特别委员会的推荐生效. in ef`fect
(a) for practical purposes; in fact 实际上; 事实上
*The two systems are, in effect, identical. 这两种制度实际上一模一样.
(b) (of a rule, law, etc) in use （指规则、法律等）有效
*Some ancient laws are still in effect. 有些古时的法律现在仍然有效. of/to no ef`fect not having the result intended or hoped for 没有预期的或希望的结果; 无效
*My warning was of no effect. 我的警告无济于事.
* We warned them, but to no effect. 我们警告过他们, 但完全没用. strain after effects/an effect => strain1. take ef`fect
(a) produce the result intended or required 产生预期的或要求的结果; 生效
*The aspirins soon took effect. 服下的阿司匹林药片很快见效了.
(b) come into force or use; become active 实施; 实行; 起作用
*The new law takes effect from tomorrow. 新法令明日起实行. to good, etc ef`fect producing a good, etc result or impression 产生好的等结果或印象
*The room shows off her paintings to good effect. 这个房间把她绘画的优点充分显示出来. to this/that ef`fect with this/that meaning or information 有这样[那样]的意思或内容
*He told me to get out, or words to that effect. 他说了一句叫我走开之类的话. to the effect that... with the meaning, or giving the information, that... 大意为...
*He left a note to the effect that he would not be returning. 他留下一张字条, 大意是说他不回来了.
v [Tn] (fml 文) bring (sth) about; cause to occur 使（某事物）产生; 使发生; 引起
*effect a cure, a change, a sale 产生疗效、引起变化、实行大减价. =>Usage at affect1 用法见affect1.
The Kate Middleton effect (also the Kate effect, the Duchess of Cambridge effect or the Duchess effect) refers to the trend effect that Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge has on others, from cosmetic surgery for brides, to sales of coral-coloured jeans. Although Middleton was in the public eye for many years as the girlfriend of Prince William, the effect began after the announcement of the couple's engagement in November 2010, which spawned a media frenzy.
1. Even this had no effect. 这也没有对他产生任何影响。
2. But neither psychiatric interviews nor objective tests were able to show there is any effect upon these American sailors. 但是，不管进行精神病学的调查访问，还是进行客观的测试，都不能显示噪音对这些美国水兵有任何影响。
3. But we must be less willing to accept superficial, theoretical announcements of right and wrong, cause and effect. 但是我们切不可轻易接受理论上的、肤浅的是非之说和因果之说。
4. If there is any effect of noise upon mental health, 如果噪音对精神健康有影响的话，
5. When he finally retired, he put his plan into effect. 等到终于退休了，他便开始实行这一计划。
6. The effect of the medicine on the sick man was magical. 药对病人的效力是不可思议的。
7. The Butterfly Effect is the reason. 原因是蝴蝶效应。
8. Tom swept his brush artistically back and forth — stepped back to note the effect — added a touch here and there — criticized the effect again. 汤姆艺术家般地将刷子来来回回地掠过——后退几步看看效果——不时地这儿那儿再加上一笔——再挑剔一下。
9. That point was emphasized by the fact that Gail's parents, after thirty-five years of marriage, were going through a bitter and painful divorce, which had destroyed Gail and for a time had a negative effect on our budding relationship. 下列事实强调了这样一点：已经结婚35年的盖尔父母正经历着一场充满怨恨、令人痛苦的婚变，这件事给了盖尔以毁灭性的打击, 并一度给我们正处于萌芽状态的关系带来了负面的影响。
10. The great majority of nations concern themselves with economic development, regardless of its effect on the global ecology. 绝大多数国家只顾经济发展，而不顾经济发展对全球生态环境的影响。