名词:obtainer 动词过去式:obtained 过去分词:obtained 现在分词:obtaining 第三人称单数:obtains 形容词:obtainable
tain,ten,tin＝to hold,to keep（安静）
1 [Tn, Dn.pr] ~ sth (for sb)get sth; come to own or possess sth (by buying, borrowing, taking, etc) 取得某物; （经买、借、拿等）获得, 得到某物
*Where can I obtain a copy of her latest book? 在哪里能买到她最新出版的书?
* He always manages to obtain what he wants. 他总是有办法得到他想要的东西.
* I obtained this record for you with difficulty. 我好不容易为你弄到了这张唱片.
2 [I] (fml 文) (of rules, customs, etc) be in use; exist （指规则、风俗等）通行, 流行
*The practice still obtains in some areas of England. 这种做法在英格兰一些地区仍很流行.
1400-1500; Language: Old French;Origin:
obtenir, from Latin
obtinere 'to hold on to, own, obtain'
to get something that you want, especially through your own effort, skill, or work
= getobtain sth from sb/sth Further information can be obtained from head office. You will need to obtain permission from the principal.obtain sth through sth the results obtained through these surveys [I not in progressive]
if a situation, system, or rule obtains, it continues to exist These conditions no longer obtain.
1. By a quirk of fate, Humboldt and Bonpland met Mariano Luis de Urquijo, Prime Minister of Spain, who was able to obtain for them the permission to visit the Spanish empire in South America. 由于命运的安排，洪堡和庞普朗遇到了西班牙首相乌而吉乔，他可以使他们得到前往南美洲的西班牙帝国去访问的许可。
2. Where can I obtain a copy of her latest book? 在哪里能买到她最新出版的书?
3. The journalist immediately set out to obtain these important facts, 记者立即出发去核实这些重要的事实，
4. The procedure for determining that such unions are not tricks to obtain the treasured green card takes time (sometimes separating couples for more than a year, I later learned). 要确认这种婚姻并不是为了取得宝贵的绿卡而耍的花招,需要费很长时间 (我后来知道，它有时会使夫妻分居1年多)。
5. The second category covers payments made to obtain quicker official approval of some project, to speed up the wheels of government. 第二大类包括为促使政府加快对某些工程项目的正式批准而作的支出。
6. Nor could he have foreseen how we could use the Internet to obtain information on every known subject, 他也无法预测到我们可以利用国际交互网获取有关任何已知专题的信息，
7. Almost everyone uses the telephone to conduct business, to chat with friends, to make or break social appointments, to say “Thank you,” to shop and to obtain all kinds of information. 几乎每个人都在用电话做生意、与朋友聊天、安排或取消社交约会、说声 “谢谢”、 购物、或去获得各种信息。
8. Still others are afraid to say no to their children's endless requests for toys for fear that their children will infer they are unloved or will be made fun of if they don't obtain the same toys their friends have. 还有些家长不愿拒绝孩子们永无休止的买玩具的要求，是因为他们害怕孩子会认为父母不爱他们，或者害怕如果他们得不到和小伙伴相同的玩具会被人取笑。