fact＝to make（做），to do（做，为） 变化型 fect
/'ɒfɪs; [US] 'ɔ:f-; `ɔfɪs/
(a) [C often pl 常作复数] room(s) or building used as a place of business, esp for clerical or administrative work 办公室; 办公楼
*our London offices 我们在伦敦的办事处
* Our office is in the centre of the town. 我们的办公楼在市中心.
* [attrib 作定语] an `office job 办公室的工作
* `office equipment, ie stationery, typewriters, etc 办公设备
* `office workers 办公室工作人员.
(b) (usu small) room in which a particular person works （通常指小的）办公室, 事务所, 办事处
*a lawyer's office 律师事务所
* the school secretary's office 学校秘书办公室
* The editors have to share an office. 编辑须合用一间办公室.
(c) (US) doctor's surgery 诊所
*the pediatrician's office 小儿科诊所.
2 [C] (often in compounds 常用以构成复合词) room or building used for a particular purpose (esp to provide a service) 有特定用途的房间或建筑物（尤指服务性的）
*the lost `property office 失物招领处
* a `ticket office at a station 火车站售票处
* the local `tax office 地方税务所.
3 Office [sing] (esp in compounds尤用以构成复合词) (buildings of a) government department, including the staff, their work and duties （政府部门的）部, 局, 厅（的建筑物）
*the `Foreign Office 外交部
* the`Home Office 内政部.
4 [C, U] (work and duties connected with a) (public) position of trust and authority, esp as (part of) the government 公职; 官职; 公务
*He has held the office of chairman for many years. 他当主席已经很多年了.
* seek/accept/leave/resign office as a cabinet minister 谋求[接受/放弃/辞退]内阁阁员的职务
* the office of mayor 市长职位
* His political party has been out of office (ie has not formed a government) for many years. 他们政党已在野多年.
* Which political party is in office in your country? 贵国是哪一个政党执政?
5 Office [sing] (religion 宗) authorized form of Christian worship （基督教徒的）仪式, 祷告
*Divine `Office, ie daily service in the Roman Catholic church 日课（天主教的每日礼拜）
* the Office for the dead 为死者举行的宗教仪式.
6 (idm 习语) ,lay down `office (fml 文) resign a position of authority 辞职. through sb's good `offices (fml 文) with sb's kind help 承某人的好意协助.
1【building】2【room】3 office hours4【job】5 Office6【place for information】7【doctor】8 somebody's good offices/the good offices of somebody
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
officium 'service, duty, office'
, from opus 'work'
+ facere 'to do'
a building that belongs to a company or organization, with rooms where people can work at desks The department occupies an office just a mile from the White House.main/head office
(=the most important office) The head office is in Edinburgh. Did you go to the office (=the office where you work) today?at the office Have a nice day at the office.local/regional office The agency has a network of regional offices.office staff/workers/equipment etc Office staff need well-designed desks and chairs. the increased demand for office space【ROOM】[C]
a room where someone has a desk and works, on their own or with other people the manager's office Sorry, Ann's not in her office right now. Dan shares an office with Lisa.office hoursa)
the time between about 9:00 in the morning and 5:00 in the afternoon, when people in offices are working Can you phone again during office hours?b)AmE
the time during the day or week when students can meet with their teacher in the teacher's office Professor Lee's office hours are from 2 to 4 on Mondays and Thursdays.【JOB】 [U and C]
an important job or position with power, especially in government the office of Presidentin office She was celebrating ten years in office. A provisional military government took office (=started in an important job or position) .hold office
(=have a particular important job or position) Trujillo held office as finance minister. a five year term of office (=period of time working in an important job)Office
used in the names of some government departments the Foreign Office the Office of the District Attorney【PLACE FOR INFORMATION】[C]
a room or building where people go to ask for information, buy tickets etcinformation/ticket etc office the tourist office Is there a lost property office?
→box office, post office, registry office【DOCTOR】[C]AmE
the place where a doctor or dentist
examines or treats people
British Equivalent: surgerysb's good offices/the good offices of sbformal
help given by someone who has authority or can influence peoplethrough the good offices of sb I managed to obtain a visa through the good offices of a friend in the Service.
1. End of story: The move is finally over. Everything's in boxes. My office is completely without organization. I feel at home. 故事结尾：家终于搬完了。东西都装在箱子里。我的办公室全然杂乱无序。可我还是觉得松了一口气。
2. Enclosed in this outfit, I waited in line for an hour with other adventurers, mostly office workers in their 20's. 我包裹在这一身装束里，与其他的历险者一起排了一小时队。他们大多是20多岁的办公室职员。
3. Bob: She´s next door. She´s in her office, sir. 鲍勃:她在隔壁. 在她的办公室里, 先生.
4. We have to go to the government patent office to register the new trademark. 我们必须去专利局注册新的商标。
5. What a piece of marketing took place in that doctor's office! 那个诊所里就像在开展营销活动！
6. There is no room for another filing cabinet in the office. 办公室里没有地方可再摆一个公文柜。
7. The Holy Office knew this full well when it caused heretics to be burned in days gone by. 在那早已消逝的年月里，把异教徒焚火于火堆的宗教法庭十分清楚地知道这一点。
8. The pure office of poetry is ever to idealize. 诗的纯正功能向来是理想化地描述事物。
9. The President gave an inaugural speech when he took office. 总统上任时发表了就职演说。
10. The local butcher had lost his wallet while taking his savings to the post-office. 当地的肉店老板在带着存款去邮局时，丢失了钱包。