1 [C] particular type of matter 物质
*a poisonous substance like cyanide 类似氰化物的有毒物质
* a substance that will prevent rust 防 物质
* Water and ice are the same substance in different forms. 水和冰是同一物质的不同状态.
(a) real matter (contrasted with sth only seen, heard or imagined) 实物（与仅能看到、听到或想像之事物相对）
*They maintained that ghosts had no substance. 他们认为鬼魂不是实物.
(b) firmness; solidity 坚固; 结实
*I like a meal that has some substance to it, ie has nourishing food in it. 我喜欢吃富于营养的饭菜.
* (fig 比喻) an argument of little substance, eg lacking specific details, etc 内容贫乏的议论.
3 [U] most important or essential part of sth; essential meaning 基本部分; 实质部分; 主旨; 要义
*the substance of the speech 讲话的要旨
* I agree with the substance of what you say/with what you say in substance, but differ on points of detail. 我同意 你讲话的基本内容, 不过在一些枝节问题上与你有分歧.
4 [U] (fml 文) money; property 金钱; 财物; 资产
*a man/woman of substance, eg a property owner 有资产的男子[女子].
1【material】2【truth】3【ideas】4【importance】5 man/woman of substance
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
substantia, from substare 'to stand under'
a particular type of solid, liquid, or gas The leaves were covered with a strange sticky substance.dangerous/toxic/hazardous/poisonous etc substance harmful substances in the atmosphere Plutonium 238 is one of the most toxic substances known to man.illegal/banned/prohibited/controlled substance
(=used especially about illegal drugs) Police found an illegal substance in his car.【TRUTH】 [U usually in questions and negatives]formal
if something has substance, it is true There is no substance to the rumours (=they are untrue) .without substance
(=untrue) O'Connell's remarks are completely without substance.【IDEAS】 [singular, U]
the most important ideas contained in an argument or piece of writing
= essence The substance of his argument was that people on welfare should work.in substance What she said, in substance, was that the mayor should resign.【IMPORTANCE】[U]formal
= significance It was an entertaining speech, but it lacked substance (=there was no important information in it) .matters/issues of substance We should be discussing matters of substance.man/woman of substanceBrE literary
a rich man or woman
1. This black substance is carbon. 这种黑色物质是碳。
2. They maintained that ghosts had no substance. 他们认为鬼魂不是实物.
3. The questions include: "Have you ever been a controlled substance (drug) salesman, or a sex slave or pimp?" 其问题包括：你做过受管制药物（毒品）的推销员吗？
4. The likely next step is agreement from the Government to test pepper spray, an organic substance derived from peppers which disables an attacker if sprayed in his face. 下一步可能的做法是政府同意试验胡椒喷雾剂，一种从胡椒中提取的有机物质。如果喷在脸上，它能使袭击者丧失行动能力。
5. Harry went on to explain that ´myrolite´ was a hard, amber-like substance which could be used to remove freckles. 哈里便进一步解释"密诺莱特"是一种质地坚硬、状似琥珀的东西，可以用来除去雀斑。
6. An observant visitor would soon notice that it is filled with what looks like a thick, greyish substance. 但细心的客人很快就会发现瓶里装的是一种看上去黏稠，颜色发灰的东西。
7. An observant visitor would soon notice that it is filled with what kooks like a thick, greyish substance. 明眼的来访者很快就注意到瓶里装的是一种看上去浓厚的淡灰色的物质。
8. In his basement laboratory in London, a bacteriologist, Dr. Alexander Fleming, was searching for a substance that would kill deadly bacteria. 当时细菌学家亚历山大·佛来明博士正在地下试验室里研制一种能够杀灭致命细菌的物质。