动词过去式:summed 过去分词:summed 现在分词:summing 第三人称单数:sums
1 [C often pl 常作复数] arithmetical calculation 算术
*do a sum in one's head 做心算
* be good at sums 擅长算术.
2 [C] ~ (of sth) amount of money 金额; 款项
*He was fined the sum of 200. 他被处以200英镑罚金.
* Huge sums have been invested in this project. 在这个项目中投入了大量资金.
3 (a) [C usu sing 通常作单数] ~ (of sth) total obtained by adding together numbers, amounts or items 总数; 总和
*The sum of
3 is 8. 5加3的和是8.
(b) [sing] (also ,sum `total) the ~ of sth all of sth, esp when it is considered as not being enough 总共, 全部（尤含数量不足之意）
*Is that the sum of what you've done in the last two years? 这就是你最近两年中完成的全部数量吗?
4 (idm 习语) in `sum (dated 旧) in a few words 简言之; 总而言之
*In sum, the plan failed. 总之, 计画告吹了.
v (-mm-) (phr v) sum (sth) up
(a) give a brief summary (of sth) 总结, 概括（某事物）
*Now sum up (your views) in a few words. 现在（把你的观点）用几句话来概括一下.
(b) (of a judge) summarize the evidence or arguments in a legal case （指法官）归纳证词或双方论点. sum sb/sth up form an opinion of sb/sth 形成对某人[某事物]的看法
*I summed her up as a competent manager. 我认为她是个很能干的经理.
* He summed up the situation at a glance, ie realized at once what was happening. 他一眼就看清了当时的情况. ,summing-`up n (pl summings-up) speech in which a judge sums up the evidence or arguments in a legal case （讼案中法官对证词或辩论情况做的）概述.
Jon Fossum (23 February 1923 – 10 July 2007) was a Norwegian orienteer and politician for the Conservative Party.
1. This is a paltry sum to pay for such a masterpiece. 对这样一部杰作只付这么一点钱, 未免太少了。
2. The whole village soon learnt that a large sum of money had been lost. 整个村子很快知道，有一大笔钱丢失了。
3. To sum it up, mature love is union under the condition of preserving one's individuality. 归根结底，成熟的爱就是保持个性条件下的双方结合。
4. That way, any pair of shoes could have its own secret sum of money. 这样，任何一双鞋子都可以有自己的"私房钱"。
5. He donated a large sum of money to the orphanage. 他给孤儿院捐赠了大笔钱。
6. He turned a little pale, for he had been saving just that sum to buy a gun and treat himself to a little hunting trip the following summer. 他的脸有些发白。这个数目恰好是他积存已久，准备买一支猎枪的钱。有了枪，他就可以在来年的夏天外出打猎，享受一番。
7. Humans are more than the sum of their genes, argues a philosopher at one research institute. 某研究机构的一位哲学家争论说，一个人不仅仅是其基因的总和。
8. Often what you think is a dishonest fare is actually the sum of legal extra charges. 在很多情况下，你认为有假的价格其实是合法的额外费用。
9. I have been offered a large sum of money to go away, but I am determined to stay here. 有人曾出一大笔钱要我搬家，但我还是决定不搬。
10. Is that the sum of what you´ve done in the last two years? 这就是你最近两年中完成的全部数量吗?