v (-ll-; US -l-)
1 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, In/pr] make a journey 行走; 行驶; 旅行; 游历
*I love (to go) travelling. 我喜欢旅行.
* We travelled all over the country. 我们游遍全国各地.
* She travels to work by bike. 她骑自行车去上班.
* We travelled over by car. 我们是坐汽车去的.
* We had been travelling (for) over a week. 那时我们已经走了一个多星期了.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr]cover (a distance) in travelling; journey through, around,etc (an area) 行走、行驶、旅行或游历（一段距离）; 走过、绕过...（某地区）
*He's travelled the whole world. 他游遍了世界各地.
* travel forty miles to work each day 每天走四十英里去上班. =>Usage 见所附用法.
2 [I, Ipr, Ip] move; go 移动; 走
*Light travels faster than sound. 光比声音速度快.
* News travels quickly these days. 近来消息传播得很快.
* The billiard ball travelled gently across the table. 台球慢慢地滚过台面.
* (fig 比喻) His mind travelled back to his youth. 他回想起自己青年时代.
3 [Ipr] ~ (in sth) (for sb) go from place to place as a salesman 巡回推销; 四处兜售
*He travels in carpets for a big London firm. 他为伦敦的一家大公司到处推销地毯.
4 [I] (of wine, etc) not be spoilt by long journeys （指葡萄酒等）经长途运输不变质的
*Lighter wines often travel badly. 低度葡萄酒往往经不起长途运输.
5 [I] (infml 口) move very fast 快速移动
*I don't know the car's exact speed, but it was certainly travelling. 我不知道那辆汽车的准确速度, 但确实非常快.
6 (idm 习语) travel `light
(a) travel with as little luggage as possible 轻装上路.
(b) (fig 比喻) try to avoid responsibilities, problems, etc 极力回避责任、问题等.
1 [U] travelling, esp abroad 行走, 行驶, 旅行（尤指出国）
*the cost of travel 旅费
* Travel in the mountains can be slow and dangerous. 走山路有时候又慢又危险.
* [attrib 作定语] `travel books 游记.
2 travels[pl] journeys, esp abroad 旅游; （尤指）出国旅游
*write an account of one's travels 写一部游记
* (joc 谑) If you see John on your travels (eg about town), tell him to ring me. 你在城里游逛时要是遇到约翰, 告诉他给我打个电话. => Usage at journey 用法见journey.
3 [U] extent, rate or type of movement of a mechanical part （机件的）行程, 冲程
*There's too much travel on the brake, it needs tightening. 制动器太松了, 需要调紧.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*The person who drives a car, bus or train is the person in control of it. 开汽车、公共汽车或火车要用drive这个词. Similarly we ride a bicycle or horse, sail a boat or a ship (whether it sails or has an engine), and fly a plane. 骑自行车或骑马用ride, 驾船（或用帆或用发动机）用sail, 开飞机用fly. *We steer a car, bicycle or ship when we turn it in a particular direction. 改变汽车、自行车或船的方向用steer. *When travelling as a passenger we ride in a car, bus or train, sail in a ship, and fly in a plane. 作为乘客, 坐汽车、公共汽车或火车用ride in, 坐船用sail in, 坐飞机用fly in. When talking about means of transport we can use go by (car, boat/ship/sea, plane/air, bicycle, etc) 谈到交通工具, 用go by (car、boat/ship/sea、plane/air、bicycle等)
*Are you going by sea or by air? 你打算坐船去还是坐飞机去?
* He always comes to work by bus. 他总是坐公共汽车来上班.