(a) destroying or being destroyed 破坏; 摧毁; 毁灭
*the total destruction of a town by an earthquake 地震对一小镇之彻底毁坏.
(b) person or thing that destroys or ruins 破坏者; 毁灭者
*Gambling was his destruction. 赌博把他毁了.
1200-1300; Language: Latin;Origin:
destructus, past participle of destruere; DESTROY
the act or process of destroying something or of being destroyed
→destroydestruction of the destruction of the rainforest weapons of mass destruction the environmental destruction caused by the road building programme The floods brought death and destruction to the area.
1. But the Buffalo nickel, produced from 1913 to 1938, honored a pair of connected tragedies from the settlement of the American frontier — the destruction of the buffalo herds and the American Indians. 但1913至1938年间发行的野牛硬币，却是为了纪念由美国拓居引起的两起相互关联的悲剧--野牛群的灭绝和美洲印第安人的毁灭。
2. Winter was coming on and the hills threatened the surrounding villages with destruction, 冬季即将来临，这些山丘对周围的村庄具有毁灭性的威胁，
3. When I casually mentioned to a colleague that I was looking into skin cream that claimed to beat back the destruction that comes with age, her worries poured out. 我无意中向同事提起我正调查那种自称可以消除岁月之痕的护肤霜时，她向我倾吐烦恼。
4. The strong earthquake left death and destruction behind it. 强烈的地震留下了死亡和破坏。
5. This may seem a paradoxical claim to make at a time when mankind is so much preoccupied with weapons of destruction. 在人类如此全力贯注于毁灭性武器的时代，这看来可能是一种自相矛盾的主张。
6. Slaughter and destruction are terrible realities of war. 屠杀和破坏是战争恐怖的事实。
7. People would also like to be able to prevent the great destruction of property caused by earthquakes. 人们还希望能够预防地震造成的重大财产损失。
8. Preventing the destruction of essential proteins in the diet and allowing them to be absorbed in a state more easily utilized by the skin. 防止食物中的基本蛋白质被破坏，使其能以一种更易为皮肤所用的状态被吸收。
9. In his recent book Earth Politics, Ernst Ulrich von Weizsacker wrote that "perhaps 90 percent of the destruction of animal and plant species, soil erosion, forest destruction and creation of deserts is taking place in developing countries." 在其新作《地球政治学》一书中，厄恩斯特·乌尔里克·冯·魏茨泽克写道："动植物物种灭绝，土壤受侵蚀，森林被毁，沙漠产生，在这些破坏中，也许有90%正发生在发展中国家。"