adj.美丽的,女性的,(肤色)白皙的,(头发)金黄的,干净的,公平的,(天气)晴朗的 adv.公平地,公正地,直接地,清楚地 n.美好的事物,美人,展览会,市集 vi.转晴
名词:fairness 形容词比较级:fairer 最高级:fairest 动词过去式:faired 过去分词:faired 现在分词:fairing 第三人称单数:fairs
1 (a) ~ (to/on sb) treating each person, side, etc equally and according to the law, rules, etc; impartial （按照法律、规则等）公平地对待每个人、各方等; 公正的
*Our teacher isn't fair
*he always gives the highest marks to his favourites. 我们老师不公正, 总是给他喜欢的学生高分数.
* She deserves a fair trial. 她应该得到公正的审判.
* The punishment was quite fair. 这一惩罚十分公正.
* The ruling was not fair to everyone. 这项裁决并非对每人都公正.
(b) in accordance with what is deserved or expected or with existing rules 应得的; 合理的; 公道的
*a fair share, wage, price 应得的一份、合理的工资、公道的价钱
* It was a fair fight, ie The rules of boxing were observed. 那是一场公正的拳击比赛（遵守拳击规则）.
* It's not fair to give him the prize/not fair that he should be given the prize. 让他获奖是不公正的.
2 (a) average; moderately good 中等的; 尚可的; 不错的
*There's a fair chance that we might win this time. 这次我们颇有机会能赢.
* His knowledge of French is fair, but ought to be better. 他法语还不错, 但应该再好些.
(b) [attrib 作定语] (infml 口) quite large, long, etc 相当大的、相当长的等
*A fair number of people came along. 来了不少人.
3 (a) (of the weather) good; dry and fine （指天气）好的; 晴朗的
*hoping for fair weather 希望有好天气.
(b) (of winds) favourable （指风）顺风的
*They set sail with the first fair wind. 他们一有顺风就扬帆起航.
4 (of the skin or the hair) pale; light in colour （指皮肤或毛发）白皙的, 浅色的
*a fair complexion 白皙的肤色
* fair hair 浅色的毛发.
5 (arch 古) beautiful 美丽的
*a fair maiden 美丽的姑娘. =>Usage at beautiful 用法见beautiful.
6 (idm 习语) by ,fair means or `foul somehow or other, whether by good or evil methods 千方百计; 不择手段
*She's determined to win, by fair means or foul. 她决心要赢, 那怕是不择手段. by one's ,own fair `hand (joc 谑) by oneself 亲手; 亲自
*I hope you'll appreciate this
*it's all done by my/mine own fair hand. 希望你喜欢这件东西, 这是我亲手做的. a fair `cop (sl 俚) legitimate arrest (usu made while the crime is being committed) 依法逮捕（通常为作案时）. a fair crack of the `whip (infml 口) reasonable chance to share in sth, to be successful, etc 分享某物、获得成功等的合理机会
*give him a fair crack of the whip 给他一次应有的机会. a fair/square deal => deal4. fair `do/`dos/`do's (Brit infml 口) (used esp as an interj 尤用作感叹语) fair treatment; fair shares 公平对待; 公平的份额
*Come on, fair dos you've had a long go on the computer and now it's my turn. 行了, 机会均等--你用计算机已经很长时间了, 现在该轮到我了. fair `game person or thing that it is considered reasonable to chase, ridicule, etc 认为可追逐、嘲弄等的人或物
*The younger teachers were fair game for playing tricks on. 那些年轻教师常是受作弄的对象. (give sb/get) a fair `hearing opportunity of being listened to impartially, usu in a lawcourt 公平的申辩机会（通常指于法庭中）. fair `play equal treatment of both or all sides because of respect for the rules 尊重规则公平对待双方或各方
*determined to see fair play, ie to see that no injustice is done 决心要让事情得到公正处理. a fair `question question that is reasonable to ask (but often difficult to answer) 合理的问题（但常难以回答）
*`If the proposals are obviously sensible, why do you oppose them?' `That's a fair question.' ｀这些建议若显然合理, 你为什么反对呢?＇｀这个问题倒是言之成理.＇ fair's `fair (infml 口) (used as a protest or a reminder that) sb should be dealt with fairly （用以表示不满或提示）某人应受到公平对待
*`Come on, Sarah. Give me a bit more fair's fair!' ｀好了, 萨拉. 再给我一点--应当公平才是!＇ a fair `shake (US infml 口) just or reasonable arrangement; fair chance 公正、合理的安排; 均等的机会. have, etc (more than) one's fair share of sth have, etc (more than) a usual or an expected amount of sth 得到（超过）通常得到的或期望得到的数量
*We got more than our fair share of rain on holiday. 我们这次假期里遇到的雨天太多了. in a fair way to do sth likely to do sth 可能做某事物
*in a fair way to succeed 可能成功. in a fair way of `business having quite a large, successful, etc business 有相当大的、成功的...生意. set `fair (of the weather) fine and with no sign of change （指天气）晴朗而无变化迹象. > fairness n [U].
1 in a fair1(1) manner 公平地; 公正地; 正直地.
2 (idm 习语) fair and `square
(a) exactly on target 正中目标.
(b) with no uncertainty or possibility of error, misunderstanding, etc 毋庸置疑;无差错或误解等
*The blame rests fair and square onmy shoulders. 这一罪过着实地落在我的头上. fair e`nough (used esp as an interj 尤用作感叹语) (infml 口) (sometimes showing unwilling agreement) all right; I accept （有时用以表示勉强的同意）行, 好吧, 我接受. play `fair play or act fairly, following rules or accepted standards （遵循规则或公认的标准）公平地比赛或行事
*Come on, you're not playing fair. 得了吧, 你这样做不公平.
1 market (esp for farm animals and farm products) held regularly in a particular place, often with entertainments 集市（尤指买卖牲口、农产品者, 在一固定地点定期举行, 常伴有娱乐表演）.
2 large-scale exhibition of commercial and industrial goods （商品及工业产品的）大型展览会; 博览会
*a world fair 世界博览会
* a trade fair 交易会. =>Usage at demonstration 用法见demonstration.
1. We recently participated in an environmental fair at the Mall (购物中心) of America in Bloomington, Minnesota, the largest indoor shopping center in America. 最近，我们参加了一次在明尼苏达州布卢明顿市的美国购物中心举办的环境大会。此中心是全美最大的室内购物中心。
2. The prince fell in love with a fair young maiden. 王子爱上了一个美貌的少女。
3. The laws are based either on "community property" (split evenly) or on "reasonable distribution" (whatever a judge thinks is "fair"). 这些法律要么是基于"共有财产"（平均分配），要么是基于"合理分配"（法官认为怎样"公平"就怎样分）。
4. He is well known for fair dealing. 他以公平待人著名。
5. At a village fair, I decided to visit a fortune-teller called Madam Bellinsky. 在一个乡村集市上，我决定去拜访一位名叫 Bellinsky 的算命人。
6. At a village fair, I decided to visit a fortune-teller called Madam Bellinsky. 在一个乡村集市上，我决定去拜访一位称作别林斯夫人的算命人。
7. As she walked away, I followed her out of the fair. 当她走开时，我也跟着她出了集市。
8. She deserves a fair trial. 她应该得到公正的审判.
9. Learn young, learn fair. 学习趁年轻，学就要学好。
10. I´ve completed a fair chunk of my article. 我已经把文章的一大部分写完了.