1 [usu attrib 通常作定语] coming or happening at once 立即的; 立刻的
*a new book that was an instant success 一出版就大获成功的新书
* feel instant relief after treatment 医治後随即感到舒服了
* instant hot water, ie as soon as the tap is turned on 瞬间致热的水（一开龙头水就热）.
2 (of food preparations) that can very quickly and easily be made ready for use （指食品的制备）调制快速方便的, 速成的
*instant coffee, ie made by adding hot water or milk to a powder 速溶咖啡.
3 (abbr 缩写 inst) (dated commerce 旧, 商) (after dates 用于日期之後) of the present month 本月的
*in reply to your letter of the 9th inst 兹覆本月9日来函.
4 [attrib 作定语] (fml 文) urgent 紧急的; 急迫的
*attend to sb's instant needs 满足某人紧急的需要
* in instant need of help 在需要紧急援助时.
n (esp sing 尤作单数)
1 precise point of time 当时
*Come here this instant! ie at once! 马上到这里来!
* He left (at) that (very) instant. 他立刻离开了.
* leave on the instant of six o'clock, ie not a second later than six 六时整离开
* I recognized her the instant (that) (ie as soon as) I saw her. 我一眼就认出是她.
2 short space of time; moment 顷刻; 刹那; 瞬间; 片刻
*I shall be back in an instant. 我马上就回来.
* Help came not an instant too soon. 援助来得正是时候.
* Just for an instant I thought he was going to refuse. 我脑中有一闪念, 以为他要拒绝了.
1. He stood for an instant with his hand still raised. 他仍举着手站了一会儿.
2. Snap judgments like "love at first sight" or "instant hate", if taken seriously, have usually been considered signs of immaturity or lack of common sense. 像“一见钟情”或“瞬间成恨”这样的快速判断，如果被过于当真，通常就会被看成是不成熟或缺乏判断力的表现。