1 (a) [U, C] degree of goodness or worth 质量; 品质
*goods of the highest quality 质量最高的货物
* This material is very poor quality. 这种材料质量很差.
* There are many different qualities of gold and silver. 金银的成色有很多种.
(b)[U] general excellence 优质; 优点
*As an actor she shows real quality. 她表现出演员的真正才华.
* This company is more concerned with quality than with quantity. 这家公司对质量比对产量更重视.
* [attrib 作定语] We specialize in quality furniture. 我们专门经营优质家具.
(a) attribute; characteristic 属性; 特徵; 特性
*He possesses the quality of inspiring confidence. 他有本事能让别人信任他.
* She had many good qualities despite her apparent rudeness. 她粗鲁是粗鲁, 但还有许多优秀品质.
(b) special or distinguishing feature 特点; 特色:One quality of this plastic is that it is almost unbreakable. 这种塑料有个特点是不易断裂.
* His voice had a rich melodic quality. 他的音色浑厚而优美.
1. Early on, the team used the quality-improvement concept known as benchmarking — adopting the best methods or processes used by other companies. 初期，小组使用了被称为水准基标法的质量改进概念，即采用其他公司使用的最佳方法或疗程。
2. Travellers on short trips to areas with water supplies of uncertain quality should avoid drinking tap-water, or untreated water from any other source. 短途旅行到水质不保险的地区时，应避免饮用水龙头的水或未经处理任何其他来源的水。
3. The future? Bosses could measure brain activity to learn worker quality. 那么未来会是个什么样子呢？老板可以通过测量大脑活动情况来了解工人的素质。
4. There is a sincere concern for quality. 这是对质量的真正关心。
5. The team — six doctors, three nurses, three breathing specialists, two drug experts and a manager — studied the situation and came up with improvements that earned the team a special award for quality improvement. 这个由六名医生、三名护士、三名呼吸系统专家、两名药物专家和一名负责人组成的小组研究了当时的情况，并作出了改进，这些改进为该小组赢得了一项质量改进特别奖。
6. Quality matters more than quantity. 质重于量。
7. He believes very strongly that children need the experience of school to ensure the quality of being taught the basics and being examined. 他深信孩子们需要在校学习的经历，以保证基础知识的学习和考试的质量。
8. Human population growth is creating food shortages, problems of air quality, and changes in weather patterns. 人口的增长带来了粮食短缺、空气质量降低、天气状况变化等问题。
9. "a word or words expressing some quality considered characteristic or descriptive of a person or a thing, often expressing approval or disapproval." "表达某种特点的一个或几个字, 这种特点被认为反映了某人或某事的本质、或描述了某人某事，常表示嘉许或不喜欢的意思。"
10. "This was a story about results," says the judge who gave the team the quality award. "他们的事迹将有深远的结果，"给该小组颁发质量奖的鉴定人说。