副词:referentially 形容词:referential 名词:referencer 动词过去式:referenced 过去分词:referenced 现在分词:referencing 第三人称单数:references
fer＝to carry（运；载），to bear（忍耐）
/'refərəns; `rɛfərəns/ n
1 ~ (to sb/sth)
(a) [U] act of referring (refer 1a) to sb/sth 提到; 说到; 涉及
*Avoid (making) any reference to his illness. 千万别提起他的病.
* The original text is here for ease of reference. 谨附原文以便查考.
(b) [C] statement, etc speaking of or mentioning sb/sth; allusion 说到或提到某人[某事物]的言语或文字等; 暗示
*He made pointed (ie obvious) references to the recent scandal. 他有针对性地提到最近的丑闻.
* The book is full of references to places I know. 这本书里提到许多我熟悉的地方.
2 [C] ~ (to sb/sth) note, etc telling a reader in what other book, article, etc information may be found; book, passage, etc referred to in this way or as an authority （向读者指示参考书、文章等的）附注, 旁注; （做此种用途的）书, 章节
*a thesis crowded with references to other sources 有旁徵博引附注的论文
* check your references 要核对引证的资料
* cite Green
1986 as a reference 引用1986年格林的论述作参考资料.
3 [C] (abbr 缩写 ref) (commerce 商) (on letters, etc) means of identification （书信等的）编号
*Please quote our reference when replying. 回信时请注明我方函件编号.
4 [C] (person willing to make a) statement about a person's character or abilities （有关某人品格或能力的）证明文书, 介绍信; 证明人
*quote sb/sb's name as a reference 提出某人[某人的名字]做可咨询的证明人
* provide a reference for sb 为某人出具证明
* supply sb with a reference 向某人提供愿做证明的人
* She has excellent references from former employers. 她持有以前的雇主写的很好的证明书.
* a banker's reference, ie a note from one's bank saying that one's financial position is sound 银行证明（证明某人财务状况良好）. Cf 参看 testimonial 1.
5 (idm 习语) bear/have some/no reference to sth (not) be connected with sth 与某事物有关[无关]
*This has no reference to what we were discussing. 这与我们讨论的问题无关. a frame of reference => frame1. in/with reference to sb/sth (esp commerce 尤用于商业) about or concerning sb/sth 关于某人[某事物]
*I am writing with reference to your job application. 敬覆者, 关于您申请工作一事. Cf 参看 terms of reference (term). without reference to sb/sth not taking account of sb/sth 不考虑某人[某事物]; 置某人[某事物]于不顾
*She issued all these invitations without any reference to her superiors. 她未请示上级擅自把所有这些请柬都发了出去.
1. The poem contains an oblique reference to Queen Elizabeth. 这首诗转弯抹角地提及伊丽沙白女王。
2. Keep the dictionary on your desk for your reference. 把这本字典撂在书桌上供你参考吧。
3. During the 1960s and 1970s, politicians in my native country, India, used to wave the slogan "Stop the Brain Drain" — a reference to the fact that the cream of India was leaving for the lucrative shores of England and America. 在20世纪60和70年代，我的祖国印度的政客们常常喊着"制止人才外流"的口号, 它所指的实际上是这样一个事实: 印度的精英们正在离开印度，到能够赚钱的国家——英国和美国去。
4. His very concepts of the true and the false will still have reference to his particular traditional customs. 人们关于真与伪的概念依然和特定的传统风俗有关。
5. There is always something to do in connection with it, from finding the right place for the latest addition, to verifying facts in reference books. 从为新增添的收藏品寻找摆放位置到核对参考书中的事实，总归有事可做。
6. It was an important reference work and Humboldt made an instinctive grab for it. 那是一本很重要的参考书，洪堡本能地去抓它。