名词:evilness 副词:evilly 形容词比较级:eviler 最高级:evilest
1 morally bad; wicked 道德败坏的; 邪恶的
*evil thoughts 邪念
* an evil man 恶棍.
2 very unpleasant or harmful 令人不快的; 坏的; 有害的
*an evil smell 难闻的气味
* an evil temper 坏脾气
* evil weather 恶劣的天气.
3 (idm 习语) the evil `day, `hour, etc time when sth unpleasant that one would like to avoid (but cannot) will happen 该着倒霉的日子、时刻等
*I know I need to go to the dentist but I've been putting off the evil day as long as possible. 我明知得去看牙, 却尽可能把这倒霉日子往後拖. (give sb) the evil `eye supposed power to harm people by a look or glance 恶毒的目光. the `Evil One (dated 旧) the Devil 魔鬼; 恶魔. an evil `tongue tendency to say malicious things about people 说人坏话的恶习
*She has an evil tongue. 她爱说别人坏话. one's good/evil genius => genius. fall on evil days (fml 文) suffer hardship or misfortune 遭受苦难或不幸.
n (fml 文)
1 [U] wrongdoing or wickedness 罪恶; 邪恶; 恶行
*the spirit of evil in man 人类的邪恶灵魂
* return good for evil 以德报怨
* speak no evil 不说坏话
* You cannot pretend there's no evil in the world. 不要以为世界上没有罪恶.
2 [C] evil thing; disaster 邪恶之事; 灾难
*War, famine, and flood are terrible evils. 战争、饥荒、洪水都是可怕的灾难.
* the evils of drink 饮酒的害处.
3 (idm 习语) the lesser of two evils => lesser. a necessary evil => necessary.
1. If these intimations of a something behind and beyond are not evil humour born of indigestion, or whimsies sent by the devil to mock and madden us, 如果某种玄妙事物的暗示不是消化不良引起的邪恶情绪，也不是魔鬼为了捉弄我们，使我们发狂而送给我们的邪念，
2. The evil witch in this story is cursed by everyone. 人们都咒骂这个故事中那邪恶的女巫。
3. The tree was planted near the church fifty years ago, but it is only in recent years that it has gained an evil reputation. 该树是50年前栽在教堂附近的，但只是近几年才得到了一个坏名声。
4. The little spy smiled an evil smile. 这名小个特务邪恶地笑了笑，
5. A baby has no knowledge of good and evil. 小孩儿不解善恶.
6. As is so often pointed out, knowledge is a two-edged weapon which can be used equally for good or evil. 正像人们常常指出的，知识是一把双刃刀，可以用于造福，也可以用来为害。
7. She knew that the evil day could not be long postponed. 她知道这个不幸的日子不会延迟太久。
8. If these intimations of a something behind and beyond are not evil humour born of indigestion. 如果对某种玄妙的事物的暗示不是误解所致的邪念.