n.损害,伤害 v.招致损害 n.[律] (用复数)赔偿金
副词:damagingly 动词过去式:damaged 过去分词:damaged 现在分词:damaging 第三人称单数:damages 形容词:damageable 名词:damageability
1 [U] ~ (to sth) loss of value, attractiveness or usefulness caused by an event, accident, etc 损失; 损害; 损毁
*The accident did a lot of damage to the car. 这一事故把汽车损坏得很厉害.
* storm damage to crops 暴风雨对农作物的损害
* damage to her reputation 对她名誉的损害.
2 damages [pl] money paid or claimed as compensation for damage(1), loss or injury 损害赔偿金
*The court awarded
5000 (in) damages to the injured man. 法院判给伤者5000英镑损害赔偿费.
3 (idm 习语) what's the `damage? (Brit infml 口) what does/did sth cost? 某物要多少钱?
*`I need a new coat.' `Oh yes? What's the damage?' ｀我需要件新外衣了.＇｀是吗? 要花多少钱?＇
v [Tn] cause damage to (sth) 损害; 损坏; 损毁; 损伤
*damage a fence, a car, furniture, etc 损坏栅栏、汽车、家具等
* damage sb's career 损害某人的事业
* damage relations between two countries 损害两国的关系.
1. But in recent years, as environmental damage has increased, signs of change have sprung up in various pockets around the world. 但近年来，随着环境损害的日益严重，世界各地已经出现了许多变化的迹象。
2. We felt sure that sooner or later a stone would rip a hole in our petrol tank or damage the engine. 我们想念迟早会飞起一个石块把油箱砸开一个窟窿，或者把发动机砸坏。
3. What divorce does is to damage children, making them into refugees as the people in their lives scatter in all directions. 离婚造成的是对孩子的伤害，使他们随着身边人的离散而成了流亡者。
4. The accident did a lot of damage to the car. 这一事故把汽车损坏得很厉害.
5. Alcohol may cause damage to the liver. 酒精可能会损坏肝脏。
6. Also, to prevent property damage, architects now design buildings so that the building's columns and horizontal beams are of equal strength, and vertical support columns are inserted deep into solid soil. 同样，为了预防财产损失，建筑师如今设计楼房时会使房屋的支柱和横梁力度相等，而垂直支柱则深深插入坚实的地基中。
7. Realizing that this was no ordinary fish, the fisherman made every effort not to damage it in any way. 那位渔民意识到这根本不是一条普通的鱼，于是千方百计不让它受到丝毫伤害。