n.碎片,筹码 v.削成碎片,碎裂 芯片
动词过去式:chipped 过去分词:chipped 现在分词:chipping 第三人称单数:chips
1 thin piece cut or broken off from wood, stone, china, glass, etc （木、石、瓷、玻璃等切割下或碰下的）薄片, 破片, 碎块, 碎屑
*a chip of wood 木屑.
2 place from which such a piece has been broken （这种碎块所留下的）缺损处
*This mug has a chip in it. 这个缸子上有个缺口. =>illus 见插图.
3 (US French `fry) (usu pl 通常作复数) thin strip of potato fried in deep fat 炸马铃薯条
*a plate of chips 一盘炸土豆条 *,fish and `chips, ie fish coated in batter, fried and served with chips 炸鱼和炸土豆条. =>illus at potato 见potato之插图.
4 (US) = crisp n.
5 flat plastic counter2(1) used to represent money, esp in gambling 筹码（用以代钱, 尤用于赌博）.
6 = microchip.
7 (also `chip shot) (esp in golf and football) shot or kick that travels steeply upwards and then lands within a short distance （尤指高尔夫球和足球）高球.
8 (idm 习语) a ,chip off the old `block (infml 口) person (esp a man or boy) who is like his father in character 性格像父亲的人（尤指男的）. have a `chip on one's shoulder (infml 口) be bitter, resentful or defiant because one feels that one's past, background, physical appearance, etc, causes other people to be prejudiced against one 因感到自己的过去、背景、外貌等使别人产生偏见而怀恨、不满或对抗
*She's got a chip on her shoulder about not having gone to university. 她因为没有进入大学而愤愤不平. have had one's `chips (Brit sl 俚) be dead, dying or defeated 已死、垂死或受挫. when the chips are down (infml 口) when a crisis point is reached 危急关头
*When the chips were down he found the courage to carry on. 他在关键时刻勇于坚持到底.
1 (a) [Tn] break or cut (sth) at the edge or surface （在边缘或表面）打破或切削（某物）
*a badly chipped saucer 边缘严重破损的碟子
* chip a tooth 锛了牙齿
* He chipped one of my best glasses. 他碰坏了我最好的玻璃杯. =>illus 见插图.
(b) [I] (tend to) break at the edge or surface （易于）从边缘或表面破裂
*Be careful with these plates they chip very easily. 小心这些盘子--边缘容易破损.
* The paint is chipping badly. 油漆在严重剥落.
2 (a) [Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sth from/off sth; ~ sth off break or cut (a small piece) from the edge or surface of sth 从某物的边缘或表面折下或切下（一小块）
*A piece was chipped off the piano when we moved house. 我们搬家时钢琴碰掉了一小块.
* We chipped the old plaster (away) (ie removed it in small pieces) from the wall. 我们把旧墙皮从墙上铲掉.
(b) [Ipr, Ip] ~ off (sth) be broken off in small pieces 呈小块掉下; 剥落
*The paint has chipped off where the table touches the wall. 桌子接触墙壁的地方漆皮已剥落.
3 [Tn] shape or carve (sth) by cutting the edge or surface (with an axe, chisel, etc) （用斧、凿等切削边缘或表面）雕刻（某物）或使（某物）成形; 砍成; 凿成.
4 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] make (potatoes) into chips (chip1 3) 将（土豆）切成小条
*chipped potatoes 土豆条.
5 [I, Tn] (esp in golf and football, etc) strike or kick (the ball) so that it travels steeply upwards and then lands within a short distance （尤指高尔夫球或足球）打高或踢高（球）.
6 (phr v) chip away at sth continuously break off small pieces from sth 从某物上不断除去小块
*chipping away at a block of marble with a chisel 用凿子在大理石上不停地凿
* (fig 比喻) He kept chipping away at the problem until he had solved it. 他一直在琢磨这一问题, 直到把它解决为止. chip in (with sth) (infml 口)
(a) join in or interrupt a conversation 参加谈话或插嘴
*She chipped in with some interesting remarks. 她插进一些话, 说得很有趣.
(b) contribute (money) 凑（钱）; 捐（款）
*If everyone chips `in we'll be able to buy her a really nice leaving present. 若每个人都凑些钱, 就能真正给她买件好的送别礼物.
1. The silicon chip is less than a millimeter thick. 这个硅片还不到一毫米厚。
2. The government has been pressing for computer makers to include a special chip in their machines to allow police agencies to listen to electronic communications. 政府一直在敦促电脑制造商在机中加装一块特殊的芯片以使警方能接听电子通信。
3. As the time and cost of making a chip drop to a few days and a few hundred dollars, 由于制造一块芯片的时间已缩短至几天，费用也只有几百美元，
4. Another time, I arrived to find him chewing the last of a batch of chocolate chip cookies my mother had sent me. 还有一次，我回来就看到他在吃我的最后一块巧克力曲奇饼，那是我妈妈带给我的。
5. You wonder if eating a dozen chocolate-chip (碎片) cookies, wearing a house coat until 4, combing your hair at 5, cleaning behind the stove (twice) and crying in a job-agency parking lot qualify as symptoms of stress or maybe loss of self-worth. 你不知道这些情况是否可以归类于因紧张、或许还有失去自身价值所引起的症状：一连吃下十几块巧克力曲奇、下午4点钟还穿着居家便服、5点钟才梳头发、在炉子后面东扫西抹 (两遍），以及在职业介绍所的停车场上哭泣。
6. India-born N. Damodar Reddy´s tiny California company reopened an AT&T chip plant in Kansas City last spring with financing from the state of Missouri. 印度出生的N.达莫达.雷迪经营的小小的加州公司在堪萨斯城重新启用了美国电话电报公司的一家芯片工厂，并从密苏里州获取了财政上的支持。
7. Imagine a small plastic card that holds all manner of information about you on a tiny memory chip (芯片): 设想一下一张小小的塑料卡，在微小的记忆芯片上存有关于你的所有信息：
8. For instance, Alex Au, a Stanford Ph. D. from Hong Kong, has set up a Taiwan factory to challenge Japan´s near lock on the memory-chip market. 比如说，亚历克斯.奥，一位来自香港的斯坦福大学博士，已经在台湾建厂，对日本在内存条市场上近似垄断的局面提出了挑战。