/pɑ:θ; [US] pæθ; pæθ/
n (pl ~s / pB:Tz; ?@ pATz; pATz/)
1 (also `pathway, `footpath) way or track made for or by people walking 小路; 小径
*Keep to the path or you'll lose your way. 沿着这条小道走, 否则就要迷路.
* The path follows the river and then goes through the woods. 这条小径与河并排, 而後穿过林子.
* We took the path across the fields. 我们顺着横越田地的小路走. =>illus at App
1 见附录1插图, page vi.
2 line along which sb/sth moves （人或事物移动的）路线, 轨道
*the moon's path round the earth 月亮绕地球的轨道
* the path of a tornado 龙卷风经过的路线 *She threw herself in the path of (ie in front of) an oncoming vehicle. 她一下子朝对面来车扑去.
* (fig 比喻) She has had a difficult path through life. 她生活中有过一段困难的历程.
3 course of action 行动步骤; 办事程序; 做法
*I strongly advised him not to take that path. 我极力劝他不要采取那种做法.
4 (usu sing 通常作单数) ~ to sth way to reach or achieve sth （达到或成就某事的）途径, 方式
*the path to success, victory, riches, power, ruin 通往成功、胜利、富裕、权力、毁灭的道路.
5 (idm 习语) cross sb's path => cross2. lead sb up the garden path => lead3. the primrose path => primrose. smooth sb's path => smooth2.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*A lane is a narrow country road. *lane是乡间小径. A path or footpath is a way marked out for people to walk along, between houses in a town or across fields, beside rivers, etc in the country. *path或footpath是市镇中住宅之间或郊野中穿越田地、沿河等有标志的人行道. A track is a rough path in the country, often not officially marked, but made by the constant passing of people, animals or vehicles. *track指郊野土路, 常无正式标志, 仅为人、动物或车辆走得多而形成者. Lane and track can also refer to the separate parts of a road (lane) or railway (track) separating cars or trains passing in opposite directions or overtaking *lane和track还可指分开来自对面车辆或供超车用的部分路面, 公路用lane, 铁路用track
*a six-lane motorway 有六条行车线的高速公路
* a double-track railway line 双轨铁路线. Runners in an athletics stadium run in individual lanes. 在田径运动场上赛跑的人有各自的lane. *The whole area they run on is called the track. 进行赛跑的整个地段称为track.
npluralpaths [pɑːðz (US) pæðz/
1. Every awkward attempt meets with sympathy and encouragement, and the most difficult step on the path of language becomes the merriest game. 每一次尴尬的尝试都会受到同情和鼓励，这样在语言学习道路上最困难的一步变成了最愉快的游戏。
2. We expected the path to end abruptly, but we found that it traced its way through the trees. 我们以为这条路会突然终止,但发现小道的踪迹穿过树林
3. We expected the path to end abruptly, but we found that it traced its way through the trees. 我们原以为小路会到此突然终止。没想到它到树林中继续向前延伸。
4. We could see that the path continued on the other side, but we had no idea how we could get across the stream. 我们可以看到小路在深溪对岸继续向前伸展，但却不知如何越过这道深溪。
5. The path is paved with concrete slabs. 这条路是用混凝土板铺成的.
6. There is a small rugged path through the mountains. 山间有条崎岖小路。
7. This shadowy path is cool and quiet. 这条多阴的小道凉爽而幽静。
8. The path to glory is always rugged. 通向光荣的道路常常是崎岖的。
9. Taking a path which led out of the town, we crossed a few fields until we came to a dense wood. 我们走上了一条出镇的小路，穿过几块农田，来到一片茂密的树林。
10. The path led to a tiny village perched on the steep sides of a mountain. 顺着小路，我们来到一个座落在陡峭山坡上的小村庄。