1 ~ (to/towardssth)/(to do sth) way a person or thing tends to be or behave （人或物呈现的）倾向, 趋势
*a tendency to fat/towards fatness/to get fat 发胖的趋势
* homicidal tendencies 有杀人的可能.
2 direction in which sth moves or changes; trend （事物运动或变化的）趋向, 倾向, 趋势
*Prices continue to show an upward tendency, ie to increase. 物价呈持续上升的趋势.
[Date: 1600-1700; Language: Medieval Latin;Origin: tendentia, from Latin tendere; TEND]
if someone or something has a tendency to do or become a particular thing, they are likely to do or become it
a tendency to do sth
Greg's tendency to be critical made him unpopular with his co-workers.
The drug is effective but has a tendency to cause headaches.
Some people may inherit a tendency to alcoholism.
Researchers believe that the tendency for diabetes is present at birth.
a general change or development in a particular direction
there is a tendency (for sb) to do sth
There is an increasing tendency for women to have children later in life.
a general tendency towards conservation and recycling
a tendency among Americans to get married at a later age
aggressive/suicidal/criminal/artistic etc tendencies
a part of someone's character that makes them likely to behave in a certain way or become an artist, criminal etc
children with aggressive or anti-social tendencies
[also + plural verb British English]
a group within a larger political group that supports ideas that are usually more extreme than those of the main group
the growing fascist tendency
1. Because females do not have this tendency (this brain division is known to be influenced by male sex chemicals), girls who perform well in mathematics are doing so because they are superior in their overall mental development. 因为女性不具备这种趋势（人脑的这种分工已知是男性激素影响的结果），数学好的女孩是因为她们的整体智力发育很好。
2. This tendency is now spreading rapidly downwards. 现在这种趋势正在迅速地蔓延到社会下层.
3. There is a natural tendency for any relationship based on voluntary affection to come apart, but marriage provides the glue needed to keep a couple together by providing ties of family, in conjunction with the obligations of parents to children. 任何建立在自发爱恋基础上的关系都会趋于自然终止，但婚姻建立起家庭纽带，以及父母与子女间的责任义务，这就提供了将夫妇联结在一起的粘合剂。
4. The only explanation she has is that male brains have a tendency to become more divided during development, with different functions located on one side of the brain or the other. 惟一的解释就是：男性的大脑在发育过程中有分工更明确的趋势，大脑的两半球各有不同的功能。
5. She has a tendency to talk too much. 她老喜欢唠唠叨叨。
6. So it is with personal disappointment that I observe the current tendency to keep out new arrivals. 所以我是带着我个人的失望心情来看待目前当局阻止移民美国的倾向的。
7. One step to calming down is recognizing you have this tendency. 让自己平静下来的做法就是承认你存在这种倾向。
8. I think the tendency to give children too many toys and clothes is quite common in American families. 我发现给孩子们买太多的玩具和衣服的倾向在美国家庭已是司空见惯。