1 [C usu pl 通常作复数] (used esp after the preps in, into, to 尤用于介词in、into、to之後)
(a) any of the parts of which sth is made 部件; 部分
*He lost one of the pieces of his model engine. 他的火车头模型缺了一个零件.
* The table is made in five pieces. 这桌子是五部分组成的.
* pull sth/take sth/come to pieces 拆散某物[散成碎块]
* The furniture is delivered in pieces and you have to assemble it yourself. 家具送货时是散件的, 得自己装配.
(b) any of the portions into which sth breaks 碎片; 碎块; 断片
*The vase shattered into a thousand pieces. 花瓶已经粉碎了.
* The cup lay in pieces on the floor. 地上是那杯子的碎片.
* break, hack, pull, smash, tear sth to pieces 打碎、劈碎、扯碎、砸碎、撕碎某物
* The boat (was) smashed to pieces on the rocks. 船触礁而撞碎了.
2 [C] ~ (of sth)
(a) amount of a substance (separated or broken from a larger piece) （从大物体上分离下来的）块, 片, 段, 截
*buy a piece of glass to fit the window frame 买块玻璃安窗户
* put a piece of wood on the fire 向火里添块木头
* get a piece of grit in one's eye 眼里迷进一粒沙子
* a piece (ie a slice) of bread, cake, meat, etc 一块面包、蛋糕、肉等.
(b) amount or area of sth, esp for a particular purpose （某物质的）块, 片, 段, 截（尤指有某用途的）
*a piece of chalk, ie for writing with 一枝粉笔
* a piece of land, ie for farming or building on 一块地（耕地或建筑用地）
* a piece (ie a sheet) of paper 一张纸. =>Usage 见所附用法.
3 [C] ~ of sth
(a) single instance or example of sth （事情的）项, 桩, 条
*a piece of advice, information, luck, news, treachery 一个忠告、一项信息、一件幸事、一则新闻、一宗背叛事件
* a fine piece of work 一部好作品.
(b) single article; item 件; 个
*a piece of furniture, jewellery, luggage, porcelain 一件家具、珠宝、行李、瓷器.
(a) (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词) any of the parts of a set 一套中的任何一件、一部分:a jigsaw with
1000 pieces 有一千块板片的拼图玩具
* a three-piece suite, ie a sofa and two armchairs 三件一套的沙发（一张长沙发及两张单座沙发）
* a 50-piece orchestra, ie with
50 players 50人的管弦乐队.
(b) any of the small objects or figures used in board games, esp in chess 棋子.
5 [C] standard length of cloth, wallpaper, etc as an item for sale （按标准长度整件出售的布、壁纸等的）匹, 卷, 条
*cloth sold by the piece 按匹发售的布.
6 [C] ~ (of sth)
(a) (in art, music, etc) single work or composition （艺术品、音乐等的）幅, 篇, 首
*a piece of music, poetry, sculpture 一支乐曲、一首诗、一件雕刻.
(b) essay or newspaper article 文章; 报道
*Did you read her piece in today's paper? 你看过今天报纸上她那篇文章吗?
7 [C] coin 硬币
*a ten-pence piece 十便士硬币
* a five-cent piece 五分硬币
* a piece of eight, ie an old Spanish silver coin 一个西班牙旧时银币.
8 [C usu sing 通常作单数] (infml becoming dated derog 口, 渐旧, 贬) woman or girl 女人; 丫头
*a nice little piece 小乖妞儿
* Do you know the piece he was with last night? 你认识昨晚和他一起的那个女人吗?
9 [C] (dated 旧) (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词) gun 枪; 炮
*a `fowling-piece, ie a gun for shooting wildfowl 鸟枪.
10 [sing] (US infml 口) distance 距离
*His house is over there a piece. 他的房子在那边, 离这儿有一段距离.
11 (idm 习语) a bit/piece of tail => tail. bits and pieces => bit1. give sb a piece of one's `mind (infml 口) tell sb frankly what one thinks, esp when one disapproves of his behaviour 坦诚相告（尤指不满对方行为）. go (all) to `pieces (of a person) have a breakdown; lose control of oneself （指人）（精神、身体方面）崩溃, 失去自制力
*After the car accident, she seemed to go to pieces. 撞车事故後, 她好像精神崩溃了.
* He went to pieces when they told him the tragic news. 人们告诉他那悲惨的消息後, 他已六神无主了. in one `piece (of a person) unharmed, esp after a dangerous experience （指人）无恙, 平安, （尤指）脱险
*They were lucky to get back in one piece. 他们安全返回, 十分幸运. a nasty piece of work => nasty. (all) of a piece with sth
(a) consistent with sth 与某事物一致
*The new measures are all of a piece with the government's policy. 新措施和政府的政策完全一致.
(b) of the same substance or character as sth 与某物同一物质或同一性质. pick/pull sb to `pieces criticize sb, esp when they are absent 批评, 痛斥某人（尤指背後）. pick/pull sth to `pieces argue against sth; find fault with sth 批驳某事; 吹毛求疵. pick up the pieces/threads => pick3. ,piece by `piece one part at a time 一块一块地
*The bridge was moved piece by piece to a new site. 把那桥一段一段地运到了新址. a piece/slice of the action => action. a ,piece of `cake (infml 口) thing that is very easy 容易的事
*The exam paper was a piece of cake. 那份试卷十分容易.
* Persuading him to give us the day off won't be a piece of cake. 要说通他放我们假可不是容易事. a piece of goods => goods. say one's piece => say. take a piece out of sb reprimand sb severely 痛斥某人. the villain of the piece => villain.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*The word piece can often be replaced by a more specific word *piece一词常可用较具体的词替换
*a slice of bread 一片面包
* a bar of soap 一块肥皂. Please consult the relevant entry to find the correct word for the item concerned. 查阅与物品搭配用的确切量词, 请参考有关词条.
v (phr v) piece sth together
(a) assemble sth from individual pieces 拼合、凑合或组装某物
*piece together a jigsaw 装配好线锯
* piece together the torn scraps of paper in order to read what was written 把破碎的文件拼凑起来以阅读其内容.
(b) discover (a story, facts, etc) from separate pieces of evidence 从各种证据中发现（事情原委、事实等）
*We managed to piece together the truth from several sketchy accounts. 我们从几方面粗略的说法中设法弄清了真相.