1 [U] bad luck 不幸; 厄运
*suffer great misfortune 遭到极大不幸
* companions in misfortune 难友
* Misfortune struck early in the voyage. 起航之後即遭不测.
* They had the misfortune to be hit by a violent storm. 他们不幸遇上了猛烈的风暴.
2 [C] instance of this; unfortunate condition, accident or event 不幸事故; 灾难; 灾祸
*She bore her misfortunes bravely. 她勇敢地忍受着苦难.
n [U and C]
very bad luck, or something that happens to you as a result of bad luck
It seems the banks always profit from farmers' misfortunes.
have the misfortune to do/of doing sth
The French soldiers had the misfortune to be caught in the crossfire.
1. We know instinctively,that misfortune might overtake us if the important events of our lives were not related to it. 我们本能地懂得，如果我们不把生活中的重大事情讲给它听，不幸将会突然袭击我们。
2. We know instinctively, just as beekeepers with their bees, that misfortune might overtake us if the important events of our lives were not related to it. 我们本能地懂得，就像养蜂人和他的蜜蜂那样，如果不把生活中的重大事件告诉那条河，就可能大祸临头。