merge,mers＝to sink,to dip（沉）
1 [C, U] sudden serious event or situation requiring immediate action 紧急事件; 紧急情况
*You should only use this door in an emergency. 在紧急情况下才能使用这扇门.
* The government has declared a state of emergency, eg because of war, a natural disaster, etc. 政府已宣布进入紧急状态.
* [attrib 作定语] the emergency exit 紧急出口.
2 [U] (US) = casualty 3
*[attrib 作定语] the emergency ward 急诊病室.
npluralemergencies [U and C]
From the idea of something suddenly 'emerging'
an unexpected and dangerous situation that must be dealt with immediately
→crisis Lifeguards are trained to deal with emergencies .in an emergency The staff need to know what to do in an emergency. In case of emergency , press the alarm button.emergency exit/supplies etc
(=used in an emergency) $500,000 of emergency aid for the victims of the earthquake The plane had to make an emergency landing . The government called an emergency meeting to discuss the crisis.
→state of emergency
1. Every family needs to have earthquake emergency plans. 每个家庭都需要制定地震救急计划。
2. The Government proclaimed a state of emergency. 政府宣布了紧急状态。
3. "In an emergency," he said, "just pull the handle between your legs. "遇到紧急情况，"他说，"就拉动你两腿之间的手柄。
4. Mr. Torres was beginning the complicated two-hour trip to his job developing film in the X-ray department of the emergency room of the Bronx Municipal (市立的) Hospital Center. 多里斯先生正准备上班，这一路得花两个小时，十分麻烦。他在布朗克斯市立中心医院的急诊放射科干冲洗胶片的工作。
5. In an emergency, call 999. 遇有紧急情况请打999。
6. It is exacting work, and, since this is an emergency room, lives can be at stake. 这是很严格的工作，而且又是在急诊室，生命攸关。
7. From a worn letter located in his pocket, an emergency-room nurse learned that his son was a Marine stationed in North Carolina. Apparently there were no other relatives. 一位急救室的护士在他口袋里发现一封揉皱了的信, 从信中知道他儿子是海军陆战队队员,随部队驻扎在北卡罗来纳州。显然, 他没有别的亲戚。