动词过去式:occasioned 过去分词:occasioned 现在分词:occasioning 第三人称单数:occasions
ob-=as,toward,at,before,upon,over,about,near,against 变化型 为了因应其后所接字母而变为o-,oc-,of-,op-,os-
1 [C] particular time (at which an event takes place) （事情发生的）时刻, 时候, 场合
*on this/that occasion 此时[彼时]
* on the present/last occasion 在这次[上次]
* on one occasion, ie once 有一次
* on rare occasions 偶尔
* I've met him on several occasions. 我见过他几次.
2 [sing] ~ (for sth) suitable or right time (for sth); opportunity 时机; 机会
*This is not an occasion for laughter. 这不是笑的时候.
* I'll buy one if the occasion arises, ie if I get the chance. 有机会我就买一个.
* He used the occasion to express all his old grievances against the chairman. 他利用那机会表达了对主席积压已久的怨气.
3 [U] (fml 文) reason; need 原因; 理由; 需要
*I've had no occasion to visit him recently. 我最近无需去看他.
* You have no occasion to be angry. 你没有理由生气.
* She's not had much occasion to speak French. 她没有多少说法语的需要.
4 [C] special event or celebration 特殊的事件或庆典
*The wedding was quite an occasion. 该婚礼是一盛会.
5 [C] (fml 文) immediate but incidental or subordinate cause (of sth) （偶然的或次要的）直接事因, 近因
*The real cause of the riot was unclear, but the occasion was the arrest of two men. 骚乱的真正原因不明, 但起因是由于逮捕了两名男子.
6 (idm 习语) on oc`casion (fml 文) now and then; whenever there is need 不时; 必要时. on the occasion of sth (fml 文) at the time of (a certain event) 在（某事件）的时候
*on the occasion of his daughter's wedding 在他女儿的婚礼上. (have) a sense of oc`casion (have a) natural feeling for what is right or fitting for a particular event, etc （有）场合意识或应景观念
*He wore his shabbiest clothes to the party
*he has no sense of occasion! 他穿着最寒酸的衣服去参加聚会, 毫无场合意识!
v [Tn, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (to sb) (fml 文) be the cause of sth 引起或招致某事物; 为某事物的原因
*What occasioned such an angry response? 何故引起如此愤怒的反应?
* Stephen's behaviour occasioned his parents much anxiety. 斯蒂芬的行为使其父母十分担心.
NOTE ON USAGE 用法
*Occasion, opportunity and chance all indicate a time when it is possible to do something. *occasion、opportunity、chance都表示有可能做某事的时候. Occasion suggests that the time is socially suitable for the activity *occasion指社交上从事某活动的合适时机
*A wedding is an occasion for celebration. 婚礼是欢庆的时刻.
* I'll speak to him if the occasion arises. 有机会我跟他说说. Opportunity and chance suggest that the necessary physical circumstances for doing something are present *opportunity和chance指有做某事所必需的实际环境
*I took the opportunity of visiting my aunt while I was in Birmingham. 我利用在伯明翰的机会探望了我的姨母.
* I hope you get a chance to relax. 希望你有机会松弛一下. Chance can also indicate a degree of probability *chance还可以指可能性的程度
*What are your chances of being promoted? 你晋升的可能性如何? Occasion may refer to the particular time when something happens *occasion可指某事发生的时刻
*I've met her on several occasions recently. 我最近见到过她好几次.
1. We had met on a previous occasion. 我们上次见过面.
2. This festival is a cheerful occasion, for on this day, the dead are said to return to their homes and they are welcomed by the living. 这个节日是个欢乐的日子，因为在这一天，据说死去的人要回到他们的家里来，活着的人则对他们表示欢迎。
3. You never go out, and this is a great occasion. 你从来没出去过，这可是一个大好机会。
4. Sometimes he would be obliged to wait a long time, and on occasion the officers even unloaded his entire truck! 有时还得等上老半天。间或海关官员还要他卸车检查。
5. Pupils of the school, old and new, will be sending him a present to mark the occasion. 为了纪念这个日子，学校的学生--无论老同学还是新同学--将送他一件礼物。
6. Mendoza met Humphries in the ring on a later occasion and he lost for a second time. 后来，门多萨与汉弗莱斯再次在拳击场上较量，门多萨又输了一场。
7. B.Despite the expense, you enjoy choosing gifts for any occasion. b.尽管要破费，你还是乐于为任何庆典盛会挑选礼物。
8. On another occasion, he invited a number of important critics to see his private collection of modern paintings. 还有一次，他邀请一些著名评论家来参观他私人收藏的现代画。
9. Once he landed on the roof of a block of flats and on another occasion, he landed in a deserted car park. 一次，他把飞机降落在了一栋公寓楼的屋顶上；还有一次，降落在了一个废弃的停车场上。
10. On this occasion, however, it had slowed down considerably. 然而这一次它的速度慢多了。