动词过去式:adapted 过去分词:adapted 现在分词:adapting 第三人称单数:adapts
ad-=to,at,for 表示方向、变化、完成、附加、增加、开始，或只表加强的重要字首 变化型 ab-,ac-,af-,ag-,al-,an-,ap-,ar-,as-,at-
1 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr, Tnt] ~ sth (for sth) make sth suitable for a new use, situation, etc; modify sth 使某事物适合于新的用途, 情况等; 修改某事物
*This machine has been specially adapted for use underwater. 这机器是为水下使用而特别改装的.
* These styles can be adapted to suit individual tastes. 这些式样均可改动以适应个人不同的爱好.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (for sth) (from sth) alter or modify (a text) for television, the stage, etc （为电视, 舞台等）改编或改写（稿本）
*This novel has been adapted for radio (ie translated and changed so that it can be presented on the radio) from the Russian original. 这部小说已由俄文原著改编成无线电广播节目（经翻译及改写後可于无线电中播放）.
2 [I, Ipr, Tn.pr] ~ (oneself) (to sth) become adjusted to new conditions, etc 适应（新环境等）
*Our eyes slowly adapted to the dark. 我们的眼睛慢慢地适应了黑暗的环境.
* She adapted (herself) quickly to the new climate. 她很快地适应了这种新的气候.
[Date: 1400-1500; Language: French;Origin: adapter, from Latin adaptare, from ad- 'to' + aptare 'to make fit', from aptus; APT]
[I and T]
to gradually change your behaviour and attitudes in order to be successful in a new situation
The children are finding it hard to adapt to the new school.
flowers which are well adapted to harsh winters
The ability to adapt is a definite asset in this job.
adapt yourself/itself etc (to sth)
How do these insects adapt themselves to new environments?
to change something to make it suitable for a different purpose
adapt sth to do sth
The car has been adapted to take unleaded gas.
adapt sth for sb
These teaching materials can be adapted for older children.
[T usually passive]
if a book or play is adapted for film, television etc, it is changed so that it can be made into a film, television programme etc
be adapted for sth
Many children buy books after they have been adapted for television.
She lives in a specially adapted flat.
1. What the eye sees as racial differences — between Europeans and Africans, for example — are mainly a way to adapt to climate as humans move from one continent to another. 我们眼中看到的人种差异，例如欧洲人与非洲人的差异，主要是人类从一个大陆向另一个大陆迁移时为适应气候所产生的。
2. No one really knows how she/he will adapt to such new customs. 没有人真正知道自己该如何去适应这新的环境。
3. Do you adapt yourself to new circumstances easily? 你能很快适应一个新环境吗?