名词:numberer 动词过去式:numbered 过去分词:numbered 现在分词:numbering 第三人称单数:numbers
1 [C] symbol or word indicating a quantity of units; numeral 号码; 数字; 数目
103 are numbers. 3、13、33、103等都是数字.
* Three and thirteen are also numbers. 三和十三也是数字.
* My telephone number is 622998. 我的电话号码是622998.
* What's the number of your car? 你的汽车多少号儿? =>App
4 见附录4, Cf 参看 cardinal number (cardinal1), ordinal number (ordinal).
2 (sing or pl in form; always with pl v when the subject is preceded by an adj 可用单数或复数形式; 主语前有形容词时, 动词一定用复数) quantity or amount 数量; 数额
*A large number of people have applied. 很多人都已申请.
* Considerable numbers of (ie very many) animals have died. 有大量动物死亡.
* The enemy won by force of numbers, ie because there were so many of them. 敌人以人多获胜.
* A number of (ie some) problems have arisen. 已经出现了一些问题.
* A large number of books have been stolen from the library. 图书馆遗失了很多书.
* The number of books stolen from the library is large. 图书馆遗失的书很多.
* We were fifteen in number, ie there were fifteen of us. 我们共计十五个人.
3 [sing] (fml 文) group; collection 组; 集体
*one of our number, ie one of us 我们中的一员
* among their number, ie among them 在他们之中.
4 [C] (abbrs 缩写 No, no; US symb 美式的符号为 #) (used before a figure to indicate the place of sth in a series 用于数字前表示某物在某一系列中的位置)
145 is on the third floor of the hotel. 145号房间在旅馆的四楼.
* He's living at No 4, ie house number four. 他住在4号.
10 (Downing Street) is the official residence of the British Prime Minister. （唐宁街）10号是英国首相府.
5 [C] issue of a periodical, newspaper, etc （期刊、报纸等的）一期
*the current number of `Punch' 最近一期的《庞奇》杂志
* back numbers (ie earlier issues) of `Nature' 过期的《自然》杂志.
6 [C] (music 音) song, dance, etc, esp in a theatrical performance 一首歌, 一段舞蹈（尤指在剧场演出的）
*sing a slow, romantic number 唱缓慢的浪漫的歌曲.
7 [U] (grammar) variation in the form of nouns and verbs to show whether one or more than one thing or person is being spoken of （名词和动词的）数（表示所叙述的事物或人是一个或是不止一个）
*`Men' is plural in number. men是复数形式.
* The subject of a sentence and its verb must agree in number. 句子的主语和动词的数必须一致.
8 [sing] (preceded by an adj or adjs 用于形容词之後) (sl 俚) item (eg a dress, car, etc) that is admired 喜爱的物品（如连衣裙、汽车等）
*She was wearing a snappy little red number. 她身着一款时髦的红色连衣裙.
* That new Fiat is a fast little number. 那辆新的菲亚特是速度很快的汽车.
9 numbers [pl] (infml 口) arithmetic 算术; 计算
*He's not good at numbers. 他的算术不怎么样.
10 (idm 习语) by `numbers following a sequence of instructions identified by numbers 根据数字顺序的指示
*drill movement by numbers 按口令的操练动作
* painting by numbers 按数字顺序着色. a cushy number => cushy. have got sb's `number (sl 俚) know what sb is really like, what his intentions really are, etc 了解某人的真面目、动机等; 知道某人的底
*She pretends to be friendly but I've got her number; she just likes to know everything. 她装得挺亲热, 可我了解她的底; 她就是什么事都爱打听. in round figures/numbers => round1.sb's `number is up (sl 俚) the time has come when sb will die, be ruined, etc 某人的死期、劫数等已到
*When the wheel came off the car I thought my number was up! 汽车轮一脱落, 我就想我算完了. number `one (infml 口)
(a) oneself 自己
*You can depend on it that she'll always look after number one. 她总是关心自身的利益, 对这一点可以打包票.
(b) the most important (person or thing) 最重要的（人或事物）; 头号的
*This company is number one in the oil business. 这家公司在石油业中首屈一指.
* [attrib 作定语] the number one problem, project, etc 最重要的问题、计画等. sb's opposite number => opposite. there's safety in numbers => safety. times without number => time1. weight of numbers => weight.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] give a number to (sth) 给（某事物）编号
*The doors were numbered 2, 4,
6 and 8. 这些门编为2、4、6、8号.
* We'll number them from one to ten. 我们将给这些东西编为一至十号.
2 [In/pr] amount to (sth); add up to 计有; 总共
20 (ie There were
20 of us) in all. 我们共计20人.
3 (idm 习语) sb's/sth's days are numbered => day.
4 (phr v) number sb/sth among sth include sb/sth in a particular group 将某人[某事物]包括于某群体内
*I number her among my closest friends. 我把她归为挚友之列.
* I number that crash among the most frightening experiences of my life. 我认为那次事故是我一生中最可怕的遭遇. number off (military 军) call out one's number in a sequence 报数
*The soldiers numbered off, starting from the right-hand man. 士兵从右至左报数.
Within a set of positive numbers, a number is small if it is close to zero. A number is smaller if it is less than another number.
1. Each person generates about 4.4 pounds of garbage a day — a number that has seen steady growth. 每人每天生产的垃圾大约为4.4磅，这一数字仍在持续增长。
2. But, in addition to that basically simple concept, the bank and its customer owe a large number of obligations to one another. 除了这一基本的简单的概念外，银行和储户彼此还需承担大量义务。
3. But other suns, stars as the astronomers call them, are bound to have planets like our own, and as the number of stars in the universe is so vast, this possibility becomes virtual certainty. 但是，其他的太阳，既天文学家所说的恒星，肯定会有像我们地球一样的行星。因为宇宙中恒星的数目极其庞大，所以存在着产生生命星球的这种可能性是肯定无疑的。
4. Because the tree was mentioned in a newspaper, the number of visitors to Frinley has now increased. 就因为报上提到过这棵树，所以现在来弗林利参观的人越来越多。
5. But since then the park has been hit by a number of problems. 但那以后，这个主题公园遇到了一些问题。
6. We owe a lot to the birds and beasts who eat insects but all of them put together kill only a fraction of the number destroyed by spiders. 我们要十分感谢那些吃昆虫的鸟和兽，然而把它们所杀死的昆虫全部加在一起也只相当于蜘蛛所消灭的一小部分。
7. What invariably happens is that a great number of things choose to go wrong at precisely the same moment. 情况经常是这样的，许许多多的事情都偏偏赶在同一时刻出问题，
8. We had spent several days in a small town and visited a number of old churches in the vicinity. 我们在一座小镇上逗留了几天，参观了附近的许多古老的教堂。
9. When a plane from London arrived at Sydney airport, workers began to unload a number of wooden boxes which contained clothing. 当一架来自伦敦的飞机抵达悉尼机场时，工人们开始卸下装有服装的一批木箱。
10. What´s the number of your car? 您的汽车牌号是多少？