/'vɒlju:m; [US] -jəm; `vɑljəm/
1 [C] book, esp one of a matching set or a series 书; （尤指一套或丛书中的）册, 本, 卷, 集
*an encyclopedia in
20 volumes 一套有20册的百科全书
2 of Shaw's Complete Works is missing. 《萧伯纳全集》的第2卷不见了.
* (fml 文) a library of over
12000 volumes 藏书超过12000册的图书馆
2 [U, C] amount of space (often expressed in cubic units) that a substance occupies; cubic capacity of a container 体积; 容积; 容量
*The liquid was
5 litres in volume. 该液体的体积为5升.
* The jars hold different volumes of liquid/have different volumes. 这些罐子可盛的液体多少不等[容量不同]. =>App
4 见附录4. =>illus 见插图. Cf 参看 area 1.
3 (a) [U] large amount or quantity of sth 大量; 许多; 数量
*the sheer volume of business, work, mail, etc 大量的业务、工作、邮件等
* The volume of protest rose/fell. 抗议事件已增加[减少].
(b) [C usu pl 通常作复数] rounded mass of steam, etc （蒸气等的）圆团
*Volumes of black smoke poured fromthe chimney. 烟囱里冒出来团团黑烟.
(a) strengthor power of sound 音量; 响度
*The TV was on at full volume. 电视机音量已开到了最大了.
* The music doubled in volume. 音乐的声音加大了一倍.
* [attrib 作定语] a volume control 音量控制装置.
(b) switch on a radio, etc for adjusting this 音量调节器
*turn the volume up/down 把音量调大[小].
5 (idm 习语) speak volumes => speak.
1【sound】2【amount of something】3【space filled】4【book】
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
volumen 'roll, scroll'
, from volvere; VOLUBLE
the amount of sound produced by a television, radio etcturn the volume up/down Can you turn the volume up?【AMOUNT OF SOMETHING】 [C usually singular, U]
the total amount of something, especially when it is large or increasingvolume of The volume of traffic on the roads has increased dramatically in recent years. the volume of trade【SPACE FILLED】 [C usually singular]
a measurement of the amount of space that a substance or object fills, or the amount of space in a containervolume of an instrument for measuring the volume of a gas The volume of the container measures 10,000 cubic metres.【BOOK】[C]a)
a book that is part of a set, or one into which a very long book is divided The period from 1940-45 is in volume 9.b)formal
a bookvolume of a volume of Keats's poetryc)
all the copies of a particular magazine printed in one particular year
1. What is the volume of this barrel. 这个桶的容积是多少?
2. We keep trying all four methods, but the sheer volume of rubbish we produce worldwide threatens to overwhelm us. 我们一直在试这4种方式，但是，我们在世界范围内仅产生的垃圾的量就有把我们覆盖的危险。
3. Large radios carried round in public places and played at maximum volume. 音量开到最大的大功率收音机。
4. This volume is many times more than that of the New York Stock Exchange. 这个交易额是纽约证交所的许多倍。
5. The volume of rose imports has already crushed some domestic growers. 大量的进口玫瑰已经挤垮了国内一些种植商。
6. These and other theories are all examined in Charles Berlitz's current volume The Bermuda Triangle. 所有这些和其他理论都在查尔斯·伯利茨的新书《百慕大三角》里得到研究。
7. The greatly increased volume and speed of data transmission that these technologies permit can be compared to the way in which a highway with many lanes allows more cars to move at faster speeds than a two-lane highway — hence, the information superh 这些技术使得数据传送的容量和速度大大提高。这种情况可与一条高速公路相比，多车道比双车道能使更多的车以更高的速度行驶 -- 信息高速公路由此得名。
8. This man examined its contents, then said: "I understand there is a two-volume edition of this work." 部长查看了书的内容，说道："我知道这书有两卷本的。"
9. The sales manager, who was quick-witted, replied: "My company cannot afford a two-volume edition, sir, but we could offer you a copy with a preface!" 头脑灵活的销售经理答道："先生，两卷本公司买不起，不过我们可给你弄一本带‘前言’的！"
10. Marx was in poor health then, but was hard at work on the first volume of Capital. 马克思那时身体欠佳，但他还在努力写他《资本论》的第一卷。