sert＝to join（结合）,to put（放置）
n (pl unchanged 复数不变)1 number of things, events, etc of a similar kind, esp placed or occurring one after another 一系列的事物:a series of good harvests 接连的丰收
* a series of brilliant leaders 一个接一个的杰出领袖
* a series of interconnected caves 一连串相互连接的洞
* a television/radio series, ie a number of programmes, each complete in itself, linked to each other by characters, theme, etc 电视[广播]系列节目
* a series of stamps/coins, eg of different values, but issued all at one time 一套邮票[硬币]
* publish a new series of readers for students of English 出版一套新的英语学习读物
* the world series, eg of important baseball or football games in the US 世界联赛（如美国棒球或橄榄球的重要大赛）.
2 [C, U] electrical circuit with the supply of current flowing directly through each component 串联
*batteries connected in series 串联电池
* [attrib 作定语] a series circuit, connection, etc 串联电路、串联. Cf 参看 parallel.
npluralseries [C usually singular]
1 series of something2【planned events】3【tv/radio】4【books/articles etc】5【similar things】6【sport】7 in series
1600-1700; Language: Latin;Origin:
serere 'to join'
]series of sth
several events or actions of a similar type that happen one after the other the series of events that led to the outbreak of war The police are investigating a series of attacks in the area. There's been a whole series of accidents on this road.【PLANNED EVENTS】
a group of events or actions that are planned to happen one after the otherseries of This autumn the BBC will be showing a series of French films. Staff will hold a series of meetings over the next few weeks. a summer lecture series【TV/RADIO】
a set of television or radio programmes that have the same characters or deal with the same type of subject, and are usually broadcast every week or several times a week a new comedy series a weekly TV series【BOOKS/ARTICLES ETC】
several books, articles etc that deal with the same subject or tell stories about the same charactersseries of a series of articles on community care a science fiction series【SIMILAR THINGS】
several things of the same kindseries of a series of laws against discrimination The area is linked by a series of canals.【SPORT】
a set of sports games played between the same two teamsthe World Series
(=in baseball) Test series
) in seriestechnical
being connected so that electricity passes though the parts of something electrical in the correct order
1. But a series of new environmental laws, together with the creation of parks and nature preserves that cover one quarter of the country, are aimed at protecting Costa Rica’s remaining forests. 但是人们制订了一系列新的环境保护法，还新建了占四分之一国土面积的公园和自然保护区，目的是要保护哥斯达黎加现存的森林。
2. The theory is based on a series of wrong assumptions. 这一理论是以一系列错误的设想为根据的.
3. The telephone rings and this marks the prelude to an unforeseen series of catastrophes. 电话铃响了，这就揭开了未预料到的大灾难的序幕。
4. Their holiday was ruined by a whole series of misadventures. 一连串的不幸事故把他们的假日全毁了.
5. The telephone rings and this marks the prelude to an unforeseen series of catastrophes. 电话铃响了，这就揭开了未预料到的大灾难的序幕。
6. There was a series of bangs as the box fell down the stairs. 箱子掉下楼梯时发出一连串响声。
7. The telephone rings and this marks the prelude to an unforeseen series of catastrophes. 电话铃响了，这就揭开了未预料到的大灾难的序幕。
8. The telephone rings and this marks the prelude to an unforeseen series of catastrophes. 这时电话铃响了。它预示着一连串意想不到的灾难的来临。
9. The UPC is printed by the manufacturer on each grocery item — a set of thin and thick vertical stripes accompanied by a series of numbers under the stripes and a zero, centered to the left of them. 条形码由厂家印在每一食品上——这是一组粗细不同、垂直排列的线条，线条下方有一组数字，左边有一个“0”字。
10. The first five digits of the other numbers designate the manufacturer and the second series of digits identifies the particular item. 条形码上的前五个数代表厂家，后面的其它数字是商品代号。