1 [U] length; area; range 长度; 面积; 范围
*From the roof we could see the full extent of the park. 我们从屋顶可以一览公园的全景.
* I was amazed at the extent of his knowledge. 我对他知识的渊博感到惊奇.
* The new race track is nearly six miles in extent. 这条新跑道将近六英里长.
2 (idm 习语) to some, what, such an, a certain, etc extent to the degree specified 达到某程度
*To some extent you are correct. 在某种程度上你是正确的.
* To what extent can he be believed? 可以相信他到什么程度?
* The carpet was badly stained, to such an extent that (ie so much that) you couldn't tell its original colour. 这块地毯已经脏得辨认不出原来的颜色了.
* I agree with you to a certain extent, but... 我在一定程度上同意你的意见, 但...
* He's in debt to the extent of 200. 他负债达200英镑.
[Date: 1500-1600; Language: Anglo-French;Origin: extente, from Latin extendere; EXTEND]
to ... extent
used to say how true something is or how great an effect or change is
to a certain extent/to some extent/to an extent
We all to some extent remember the good times and forget the bad.
I do agree with him to an extent.
to a great/large extent
Its success will depend to a large extent on local attitudes.
to a lesser/greater extent
(=less or more)
It will affect farmers in Spain and to a lesser extent in France.
They examined the extent to which (=how much) age affected language-learning ability.
To what extent (=how much) did she influence his decision?
to such an extent that/to the extent that
(=so much that)
Violence increased to the extent that residents were afraid to leave their homes.
how large, important, or serious something is, especially something such as a problem or injury
Considering the extent of his injuries he's lucky to be alive.
It's too early to assess the full extent of the damage.
the length or size of something
They opened out the nets to their full extent .
The region is over 10,000 square kilometres in extent.
1. This will relieve pressure on the trains to some extent. 这在一定程度上将会减轻对火车的压力。
2. This will relieve pressure on the trains to some extent. 这在一定程度上将会减轻对火车的压力。
3. The administrative overheads of a business are low to the extent that everyone working in the business can be trusted to behave in a way that best promotes the interests of the firm. 如果企业中的每个人都在真诚地为提高企业利润而工作，那么企业的管理费用就会降低到相应的程度。
4. To the extent that the people can be relied upon to behave in a loyal and responsible manner, 如果人民忠于职守，举止规矩，能受到政府的信赖，
5. This will relieve pressure on the trains to some extent. 这将在某种程度上减轻对火车的压力。
6. Though most of us would like to think ourselves free from such prejudiced notions, we're all guilty of name stereotyping to some extent. 虽然我们中大多数人会认为自己没有这样的偏见，但在某种程度上，我们都有对名字产生固定看法的毛病。
7. To the extent that it is genuine, my caring is not possessive, nor does it hold the other person back. 真正的爱不是占有，也不是束缚。
8. Sometimes the secrecy goes to such an extent that the whole nature of the research cannot be mentioned. 有时，保密竟达到了这样的程度，即连研究工作的整个性质都不准提及。
9. Scientists in Los Alamos were surprised by its extent; 洛斯阿拉莫斯实验室的科学家们对原子弹造成伤害的程度感到吃惊。
10. It is a harmless habit, but it litters up her desk to such an extent that every time she opens it; loose bits of paper fall out in every direction. 这种习惯无害，只把写字台里堆得满满当当，以致每次打开抽屉总能带出许多纸片四处飞扬。