en-=in,into,on,at,near 从“在中间”之意演变成“使进入某种状态～，使成为～”等，把表示to make之意的名词、形容词变为及物动词 变化型 em-
1 [C, U] conditions, circumstances, etc affecting people's lives （影响人们生活的）情况、环境等
*An unhappy home environment can affect a child's behaviour. 不愉快的家庭环境能影响儿童的行为.
* A noisy smoke-filled room is not the best environment to work in. 房间里乌烟瘴气于工作十分不利.
2 the environment [sing] natural conditions, eg land, air and water, in which we live （我们生活的）自然环境（如土地、空气、水）
*Many people are concerned about the pollution of the environment.许多人都关心环境污染问题.
* measures to protect the environment, ie prevent spoiling it further 保护环境的措施（防止进一步污染）
* the Department of the Environment, ie the British Government department responsible for land planning, transport, preservation of public amenities, pollution control, protection of the coast and countryside, etc 环境事务部（英国政府部门, 负责土地规划、运输、保护公共设施、控制污染、保护海岸和乡村等）.
environ 'to surround'
(14-21 centuries), from Old French
environer, from environ 'around'
, from viron 'circle'
the air, water, and land on Earth, which can be harmed by man's activities Some of these chemicals are very damaging to the environment. legislation to protect the environment the effects of acid rain on the environment the government minister for the environment [U and C]
the people and things that are around you in your life, for example the buildings you use, the people you live or work with, and the general situation you are in Our first task was to improve the physical environment (=buildings, furniture etc) in the school. Young children often feel happier in the home environment . The company had failed to provide a safe environment for its workers.working/learning environment a pleasant working environmentpolitical/economic environment a stable economic environment[C]
the natural features of a place, for example its weather, the type of land it has, and the type of plants that grow in it
→habitat a forest environment a very adaptable creature that will eat different foods in different environments
WORD FOCUS: environment
good for the environment: environmentally friendly, eco-friendly, sustainable, recyclable, biodegradable, renewable, organic
people who want to protect the environment: greens, eco-warriors
things that cause harm to the environment: pollution, greenhouse gases, global warming, acid rain, deforestation
See also: ozone layer, fossil fuel, CFC
1. But can the colossal cities of the future really function without overloading all their services to the point of collapse and destroying the environment through pollution of air and water? 但未来的巨城真的能够正常活动，而不会使城市的一切公共设施因超负荷而崩溃、不会由于空气和水的污染而使环境受到破坏吗？
2. In short, the individual in conflict with himself and his frontier environment. 总之，主人公是一个自相矛盾，又与他的拓荒环境相矛盾的人物。
3. The waste of this chemical factory contaminates the environment. 这家化工厂的废物污染了环境。
4. The most important factor in our environment is the state of our own minds. 我们环境中最重要的因素就是我们的思想状况。
5. The costly result is a growing greenness in the cities and a healthier environment for all the civilians who live there. 虽然代价高昂，却换来了城市里不断增多的绿地和居民们更为健康的生活环境。
6. To talk about problem-solving or decision-making within a national environment means examining many complex cultural forces. 以国家为背景探讨解决问题或做出决策的方式就意味着研究许多复杂的文化因素。
7. The people who run and teach at jukus say the schools are popular only because they work, creating a lively and interesting environment in which students learn because they are enjoying themselves. 在课外学校从事管理和教学的人说，他们学校之所以大受欢迎，乃是因为他们的工作创造了一个活泼而有趣的环境，在这样的环境中，学生因过得愉快而乐于学习。
8. The smoke of one small fire causes no harm to the environment. Natural cleaning processes can clean the particles of smoke from the air. 小火带来的烟不会危害环境，因为自然净化作用会将空气中的烟尘清除。
9. The identification of even one gene does, however, have immense implications for the genetics/environment debate. 不过，哪怕辩出一个基因对于遗传与环境之争也是意义重大的。
10. However, these dams also cause problems. In some places, the holding areas behind the dams have destroyed the environment for animals, birds, and plants. 然而这些水坝也造成了问题。有些地方, 水坝后面的蓄水区已经破坏了动物、鸟类和植物的生存环境。